Trying to get a price estimate...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
I was thinking of taking the plunge into marine tanks... only problem: I'm 13 and I don't have a lot of money to throw around with this. So instead of going out and getting a new tank, I was thinking that when my goldies move into their new tank this fall/winter I would turn my 15g into a saltwater tank. I've started doing some research on the types of fish I want, and I'm probably going to make it easy and do a FO set-up. I was have a few questions:

-Should I do a FOWLR set-up or a FO set-up? (I'm probably going to do FO since i hear it's easier)
-What is the best type of filter for a marine tank?
- Do I need a protein skimmer?
-What special saltwater equipment do I need?
-Is maintaining a SW set-up extremely difficult or much more difficult than FW or BW?

If I just have a good grasp on what I need to have I can probably find it for cheap (coming from the person who is setting up a 125g pond for under $100, lol)

Thanks for any help!! :)

mak3mydae

AC Members
Jan 25, 2009
Boston, MA
Whats a FO? I've never heard of one.

Some people dont run skimmers on such small tanks, but if you want, you can. You can replace a skimmer just by doing water changes.

A 15 gallon fowler isnt really that.. fun.. lol. But if you do a fowler you mind as well do a reef since there arnt a lot of non-reef-safe nano fish

The best type of filter is obviously the Live rock :) if you mean a HOB kind then i would go for a largish aquaclear. but you still want to get a power head seeing as how a hob isnt going to give you alot of flexibilty with water flow

I must admit, a SW is a bit more work. You have to test for calcium, alk, sg, nitrates alot more often than in a FW but dont let this discourage you.

As for eqiupment....Do you have a LFS that sells RO/DI water and sw? if so this would bring your cost down alot. if you dont, youre going to need to buy salt and a ro/di. You ma also want to look for local people that sell live rock. This will also bring your cost down alot. generally at LFS's LR cost up to 10 bucks a pound, as for local merchants sell it for 2-3 dollars a pound. try looking up your area's marine group/reef group type thing. same with the sand

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
FOWLR or FOWLS
just sub sand for rock and vice versa.

You can do just sand and HOB filter. You will need to pay close attention to your water numbers and a test kit is an absolute must along with a hydrometer. I have seen many FOWLS tanks so don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. You could beg some lava rock chips from your LFS to put in your HOB.

You will need at minimum to price out:

Live sand 15-30lbs
filter
hydrometer
heater
lights
marine salt
fish
a cleaner crew (shrimp/snails)

You don't need a protein skimmer but it helps if you do. You need to continue your research and asking. Set yourself down and make a list of questions as you go. Then post those questions like you have just done and write the answers down in a log book. This will give you reference to look back on. You could just as easily copy and paste into "MSWord" or such and then print it out making a reference book. That is one of the things I use to help me study and remember. I read several times over what I have printed out until I can remember it. I keep it in a small 3 ring binder. (I have memory problems that I work on. I try to enhance my memory and this is one of the methods I use).

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
Whats a FO? I've never heard of one.
FO = Fish Only
A 15 gallon fowler isnt really that.. fun.. lol. But if you do a fowler you mind as well do a reef since there arnt a lot of non-reef-safe nano fish
The only reason I'm really shying away from a reef is because I know that it will be more work (I think)... won't I need special lighting and everything? Also corals are EXPENSIVE :nilly: I would love to do a reef but I'm a SW newb and I don't want to kill everything.

As for eqiupment....Do you have a LFS that sells RO/DI water and sw? if so this would bring your cost down alot. if you dont, youre going to need to buy salt and a ro/di. You ma also want to look for local people that sell live rock. This will also bring your cost down alot. generally at LFS's LR cost up to 10 bucks a pound, as for local merchants sell it for 2-3 dollars a pound. try looking up your area's marine group/reef group type thing. same with the sand
I thought RO/DI was optional? I have no clue if my LFS sells SW or not, I have to go check on there prices of everything. I will try to find some cheap LR and compare it with my LFS's price.
Set yourself down and make a list of questions as you go. Then post those questions like you have just done and write the answers down in a log book. This will give you reference to look back on. You could just as easily copy and paste into "MSWord" or such and then print it out making a reference book. That is one of the things I use to help me study and remember. I read several times over what I have printed out until I can remember it. I keep it in a small 3 ring binder. (I have memory problems that I work on. I try to enhance my memory and this is one of the methods I use).
I will try to do that, I think I have a few spare binders, lol ;) That's a very good idea. I've already got a word doc with all of the fish that I liked and minimum tank sizes for them, so I'll just add on. I will write down that list and take it to the LFS next time I go (maybe next weekend).

If I forgot anything I apologize, but my brain is a bit frazzled today, LOL... I may post again tonight or tomorrow with more questions, too. ;)

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Man i admire the fact you want to start one at age 13.. but its to expensive and actually can become time consuming.
Is maintaining a SW set-up extremely difficult or much more difficult than FW or BW? the answer is yes especially if you have corals. i mean its not incredibly hard but at age 13 when your parents are up your *** all the time i cant see it happening...

Honestly man i would take some money you can each week or whatever and put it off to the side and save up for a couple years.. its not worth starting a small inexpensive SW tank becuase it can be stressfull on you but even on the fish becuase they are not getting the right supply's to take care of them... the good stuff is expensive and im a broke 18 year old working two jobs so i can have these things.

if you cant buy an RO devise which is around 150 to 200 dollars your parents would have to drive you to go buy water every week to do water changes... unless you do the cooler method which i did do for a while before my parents got sick of driving (im about to have my license) ... and it optional but much better for the fish and inhabitants of the tank using RO..

Just save and be paitent.. reefs as awsome as they are not something to rush at all and thats one thing i know for fact! plus youll be happier in the long run when you have upwards of 700 dollars to start a nicer tank man!

Last edited:

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
and fo is not a term lol i believe you need live rock.. itd be hard to have a tank without it becuase it does alot of the filtering.. so even if you dont want corals you would still need a FOWLR setup.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
Lol. I thought of it but it costs so much to run a tank. I am thinking of keeping a mantis shrimp.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i have one 14 gallon biocube reef thats modded... probably spent roughly around 1500 dollars on it so far... including MH and testing supplys which will go over the 34

Just started my 34 gal solana i got as a grad present.. 500 dollars on the tank and stand then i spent 200 on an RO Devise, 25 on sand, some on PVC pipes, roughly 90 will be spent on live rock and then im buying a MP20 (2oo dollars) and then a chiller which will probably run me 275 becuase i missed a perfect opp with this nice guy selling one pretty cheap.. then on fish and corals im sure ill spend another 400 or so. total spent in 2 weeks around 1400 lol.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i know ace has spent like 20gs on his amazing 75 gal

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
ok for my noob question what is ro di water im guessing one in deionized what is ro ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store