Tanks with built-in overflow, how do they work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kazinvan

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
I'm looking for a new tank on CL, and saw several with built-in overflows but I'm not exactly sure how they work. From what I understand, these are typically used in saltwater applications where there is an external sump or wet/dry filter under the tank. Water is then pumped back up to the main tank from there.

I want to set this up as a freshwater tank. Can I somehow use the overflow to hide the tubing for a canister filter? If not, does it just go un-used? I don't think I want a refugium, but what can I so with the overflow.

Also, does the overflow constantly 'pour' water down into the tank below? I think the sound of running water would drive me nuts. I like my tanks to be almost silent.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
:)

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
IF your the type of person who has to have a silent aquarium DO NOT BUY ONE WITH OVERFLOWS. just wait and buy a regular tank without them because they are not silent but they arent noisy to me and I have 8 tanks now with the overflows. and no overflows are not just for keeping saltwater fish many people use them in freshwater as i do.
yes the purpose of the overflow is to drain water down under the aquarium generally where it goes thru a wet dry filter then is pumped back into the tank - very excellent filter system i love them.

dmann

water logged
Jun 19, 2009
florida
the overflow to the sump is not really that noisey. but then again i think the sound of water is theraputic. anyway i tank with built in overflow is going to be much more quiet. I also think that a wet dry filter is the best way to go for filtration

kazinvan

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
So I'm assuming that the water level can only be as high as the overflow, right? The two tanks I have seen were drilled so that the overflow was about 2" below the frame. I typically fill my freshwater tanks so that I can't see the waterline. With the drilled tank, that won't be possible so it will always look like the tank isn't full.

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
if you're sure you won't be using it in the future for an overflow, what you could do is cement a piece of pvc pipe into the bulkhead, and cement a cap on the end of the pipe. Do that on both the upper and lower sides of the bulkhead, so you have double protection.

If you ever wanted to use the overflow in the future, you could still do it, but you'd have to buy new bulkheads.

I did that with the 4 overflows on my 125 that came drilled and it's held up fine so far

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
there are ways to quiet the gurgle from the over flow.. think silent stand pipe.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

pretty typical of tanks drilled on the bottom.
if the tank is drilled in the side panels for overflows then you can build drain overflows I used 90 degree elbows to create a higher spot above the drilled hole. you can also use an overflow box designed to go into he same tap on the side of the tank.
sumps have pros and cons much like all filters.

kazinvan

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
One bowfront I'm looking at is drilled on the back panel, about 2-3" from the top. By the sounds of it I should just stick to tanks that are not drilled or set up for overflow if I'm going with freshwater. The tank will be in our living room and the idea of pvc pipes coming out the back, etc may not go over well with my wife.

The other bowfront has a built in corner overflow, I can likely make this look better but the whole idea is now starting to sound bad in general. I just don't want to run into any issues down the road with leaks, noise, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
they are not that bad.

I have 2 tanks with them and they are fine. do the research or take a look at one set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store