42 gallon tank suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
So I have come into the possession of an approximately 40 gallon tank through Craigslist. It came with a bunch of stuff, random filters, heaters, gravel, etc that I haven't had a chance to go through. It all looks kind of old and well used, so I might scratch them and go brand new otherwise.

The tank itself is about 36"x17"x16" and I figured that made for a nice footprint for a dwarf cichlid tank, and I love the colors of the mbunas. I am certainly open to stocking ideas. I plan to do black sand for the substrate and a few rock mounds (hopefully I can find some nice ones from a creek by my house) to mabe do a sort of W shape with different heights on each and plenty of caves. I wasn't planning planting the tank as I've read cichlids love to tear up the plants. So maybe a couple fake plants "attached" to the rocks to give some more hiding places and to break up a few more sight lines.

As for filtration, I was kind of thinking of going with either a HOB (Kind of like the Penguin brand) or the older magnum cannister that came with the tank (if it is in salvageable shape). On top of that I wanted to do an UGJ system as I have come to really like the idea. My only issue now is how many jets is good because I think I am over shooting it. I had drawn up a diagram for a closed loop planning on a powerhead in both back corners. I had heard the Rios are pretty good for this. I then drew out 8 jets - basically splitting the tank in half with two on the back in the direction of the filter to its side, two on the front pointed towards the filter on its side, and one on either side pointed towards the back and then two in the middle pointed toward each back corner. After drawing this out it seemed like too much current so I would like to hear some suggestions from people with experience using an UGJ system.

Lastly, stocking opinions are always great. I really like the Yellow Labs colors, but have seen plenty of great cichlid tanks with gorgeous colors. This tank is really going to be more for asthetics than for breeding, so any help on the UGJ and stocking would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Most prefer at least a 48"x12" footprint when it comes to mbuna, although its possible with a 3 foot tank. Just makes it more important to keep an eye on aggression.

I'm horrible when it comes to mbuna stocking...I'll let a more experienced member help with suggestions. Labs are a good choice though.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I'd do a species tank, saulosi for example, they're dwarf and dimorphic, nice blue barred males and yellow females. Labs are good as well, or a colony of demasoni.

For ugj and how many jets is just right, test it. some people like strong current, some like just enough to kick up the debris (the more jets you have, the less current they'll push out). I've got 6 with a penguin 1140 ph (even though only 4 were recommended) and it's just enough to move stuff around, keeping the sand clean.

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Thank you very much for the responses. I really liked the demasoni - it is a gorgeous fish and I think I have seen it discussed in other threads. I really like the saulosi though, it seems like it has beautiful, flashy colors. It seems like the saulosi gets a little larger than the demasoni, how many would you suggest for a species tank? I have been reading and it seems 1 male to 3 or 4 females would be good. After reading about them I think it might be cool to have them breed. I do have a couple extra tanks lying around, so there is potential to take care of them until I can find a prope, permanent home for them.

I will test out the UGJ when I can finally get it up and running. I plan on making the jets with slits in caps on 3/4" PVC, so that would make it real easy to just cap off any jets I may not want.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Demasoni are pretty aggressive. I have heard of some having limitted success in a 3' tank. It is a dwarf species and would make a nice display but you would have to get a lot of them. At least 12. I think saulosi are a better option since they are not quite as aggressive and you get two colors with one species.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I agree with the idea that Ps. saulosi is the best option for a one species only tank. In your tank, I will do it with 3 males and 9 females; IMHO.

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Thank you all for the help. After reading up on both these fish, I think I'm going to go with the species tank with the Saulosi. Hopefully I will be able to give the tank a good cleaning out this weekend to start the cycling process! Starting to get excited...:grinyes:

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
I really have been thoroughly impressed with how much knowledge and personal experience there is on AC. Just browsing through threads that seem completely unrelated to anything I might be interested in ends up giving me more information than I can search for! That's how I came across the UGJ system idea and it got my mind working on this tank and what I can do.

When it comes time for specifics though - you guys definitely know your stuff. Experience definitely pays off and I am trying to get there. Thanks again guys! I will certainly post some pictures of the tank all finished up - I think I am going to pull out all the stops to make this look as crisp and clean as possible. It will be my pride and joy (of course until I find a bigger and better one!!) Really though, aquariums are extremely enjoyable and addicting - you just don't know until you actually have one... and then two... and then three...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store