Need help, 2 of 3 infected so far

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
it seems a case of cloudy/popeye has entered my tank. it currently a quarentine 10 gallon at 1.022 salinity. 1 clownfish and a pj cardinal have it. they appear to be acting normally though, the clown is well still a clown when it comes to life and the cardinal just flutters in his usual spot up and down. what should i be doing to try to remove this condition from? thx

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Is it unilateral popeye or bilateral popeye? The former is generally harmless and usually heals on its own, whereas the latter needs to be treated with a broad-spectrum antibiotic.

Also, is there any reason for running the salinity that low? Unless you are treating for Cryptocaryon, (in which case it needs to be lowered to 1.009), it should be roughly the same salinity as your display. Running it at that level serves no advantages and offers plenty of disadvantages, such as more stressful acclimation to the display.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
oh unilateral. and what should i be running the salinity at? i was under the impression 1.020-1.025 was the acceptable range

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Just try keeping at what your display runs. I pretty much universally recommend full strength seawater @ 1.0264 @ 77 Fahrenheit, or 35 ppt. That is the average of seawater around the world. The only time it is beneficial to keep it lower is when fish have ich and again, you'd want it much lower to treat that. Keeping it chronically low does nothing beneficial and may not be ideal for everything else.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
SG of 1.022 is acceptable and temp of reef at least from fish collector from Indo have informed me tha it is usually higher than known. But no issue over 77F. I even kept lower than 77 for Reef.

I wouldnt change salinity now unless way off from main display.

i have learned cloudiness of eyes can be associated with many pathogens so very difficult to id unless prep a mount under electronmicro which we do not have access to.
Try looking up Brooklynella. i remember back in early 90's, have constant implication with this PROTOZOAN pathogen with many fish from Florida, especially Angels.
Also common with Clowns. Not sure if this is the case but worth searching on this pathogen along with other bacterial pathogens.

Good Luck.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I doubt it is Brooklynellosis. The fish would be showing many other symptoms by now, since the disease advances very fast compared to other infections. Then again, it is possible that it could have spread by now, but the symptoms would be obvious and characteristic. The cause for the eye, as you pointed out, can be potentially many-fold, but it likely originated from a site of local injury. Again, usually unilateral infections tend to resolve themselves, only very rarely needing treatment.

As for salinity and temperature, there is plenty of literature available to the contrary. 1.022 is extremely unnatural for reef environments (Edit: this would only occur in isolated situations, like some lagoons, and areas with a limnic/marine interface). Granted, this won't necessarily harm anything outright, it is well below physiological operating optima for many invertebrates. Measurements of 1000 wild reefs revealed an average of 35 PSU (or ppt--not the same at all, but close enough). This is where I believe you confused my temperature comment. Natural seawater has a specific gravity (a temperature-dependent parameter) of 1.0264 at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I was not saying natural reef seawater is 77 F. Average temperatures run ~82 degrees, with peak diversity occurring at ~84 degrees. All of this can be independently confirmed.

In any case, if there are any invertebrates in the display, then increasing the salinity should be quite beneficial to them, as well as being able to increase the various solubilities of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. I recommend keeping at or near display levels, regardless.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I've seen enough unilateral developed into bi when not treated properly. Again we are guessing from experiences and literatures. Unless prep mount, no certainty. Also even wiht mount, may find more than one pathogenic bacteria/virus/fungus. As you have said, seen unilateral symptoms from injury received by other fish/by surrounding (fish tend to dash and bump into things when spooked)
Seen healing on its own but again its touch choices to make when and if to med.
As I got more venturous in late 80's into 90's, learned to have patience before guessing possible pathogens. After awhile, less implications and def less loss.

As far as SG in Q/T, I dont know of others, I used to used all the water to set Q/T whatever it may be.
As far as FO goes, I would keep the SG anywhere from 1.020 - 1.025 but more importantly, stable SG is prefered as long as w/i range.

In Reef, I prefered SG is 1.024. I have seen some corals (mostly lps) melt down when SG increased above 1.026. If I have to change the SG for whatever reason, I always done it gradually (IV tube; drip methods). Even few month of acclimation process for certain fishes.

I am glad to have found CLOWN (Amphiprion, LOL) who have very similar concept as I. I am a firm believer in accomodating inhabitant's needs rather than expect them to adapt to one's preferred condition be it f/w or s/w.

Good Luck with clown and PJ.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store