Setting Up A New 55 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bill Schultz

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
Lawrenceville, GA
www.ubsinfo.com
I am going to set up a 55 gallon marine (fish only) tank and after reading the Newbie section and other material found on the web, I am confused regarding a few issues.

1. Filters - Does a protein skimmer count as a filter? If so, do I need to add an additional cannister or bio wheel to complement this setup. If not, can anyone recommend a standard setup, i.e. "One cannister, one bio wheel and a protein skimmer."

2. Is there a need for UV sterilizer? If so what size is required for a 55 gallon tank? (also, any equipment recommendations?)

3. In a fish only tank, should I add live rock? I really don't understand this recommendation (I saw it on another web site). I thought, by definition, "fish only" meant substrate and fish only.

I really would like to see a model recommended setup covering lights, filters, protein skimmers, UV sterilizer, sand, substrate, live rock, etc. Other hobby forums keep updated versions of the "model" sometimes giving both a "state of the art" and a "economy" model.

Thanks for all of the information posted on this forum. It has been very helpful.

Bill Schultz

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
If you use a biowheel, dont use a skimmer, if you use a skimmer dont use a biowheel. The reason LR and DSB are used is because natural filters are the best type of filter you can get (Aerobic bacteria colonize the live rock on the outter parts, while Anearobic break down the nitrate produced by the Aerobic bacteria at the same time, while the DSB is used to break down Nitrate)

Bill Schultz

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
Lawrenceville, GA
www.ubsinfo.com
Gealcath:

Forgive me if I seem critical of your answer but this is my problem. You said if I use a protein skimmer, don't use a bio wheel (and vice versa). But, what one should I use? Are they equally effective and it's simply a personal decision? If so, the bio wheel is the best choice financially as it's about half the cost of a skimmer. And, is that all that I will need? No UV sterilizer? No additional filtration?

My LFS guy says that live sand, live rock, an Eheim 2213 and a Emperor 400 is all that I need if I stick with a fish only tank? Anybody agree with or disagree with that basic model? Any substitutions for one of these ingredients?

Bill Schultz

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Protein Skimmers are better over a biowheel for 1 Reason. When the bacteria on the surface of the sides and the aquarium decoration break down ammonia into nitrite and then finally into Nitrates. Alot of inverts like Corals do not tolorate Nitrates well, Biowheels convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrates at a faster rate then the bacteria in the DBS can break down the nitrates. Skimmers prevent the proteins from being broken down into nitrate, so it never forms (thus making the biowheel not function since there is nothing for the bacteria to break down). Sterilizers are not need, except if you have a parasite infection or some other disease.

If you go fish only you can get by with a Biowheel, as long as regular 25% water changes are done (for this all you need is the sand and live rock, with the filter). If you go with corals, anemones, feather dusters, and sponges a skimmer is highly recamended

Bill Schultz

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
Lawrenceville, GA
www.ubsinfo.com
Gealcath:

25% water changes how often? If daily its rather pricey figuring about $4.25 for just the instant ocean per change. But not bad if it's weekly.

Bill Schultz

PS - to all - Any comments on a filter sytem called EcoSystem 60? Their literature makes it sound like the best thing since canned beer (albeit at a price tag of about $340). I can get a Protein Skimmer and a UV Sterilizer for under $200 including shipping.

Info on EcoSystem 60
http://www.islandaquatics.com/prod_fltr_ecosys.html#EcoSystem 60.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store