"Romaurie Effect" Vietnamese Public Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Romaurie

AC Members
Nov 7, 2007
These photos were sent by an aquatic acquaintance of a public aquarium in Vietnam.At the end of their photos is a short video clip I posted on YouTube showing a very small home-made vacuum pump providing aireation and vacuum to an inverted aquarium in shallow aquarium where the fish can move freely fro one tank to the other.Once the vacuum is made, the water stays in.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

Romaurie

AC Members
Nov 7, 2007
"Romaurie Effect" Vietnamese Public Aquarium.

[YT][/YThttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vAEziCmMc

These are photos from a Vietnamese Aquatic forum.krt038.jpg

krt044.jpg

krt046.jpg

krt061.jpg

krt048.jpg

krt032.jpg

krt062.jpg

be-la-co-ai-giai-thich-dum-drm-duoc-khong-1788.htm
krt037.jpg

They show my inverted aquarium with 1/14th h.p. compressor providing both vacuum and aireation in one of my earlier set-ups.
I have plans drawn up for simulated tidal aquariums but this very large version of my glass linking tunnel they have built is amazing.

krt061.jpg krt048.jpg krt062.jpg krt032.jpg krt037.jpg krt038.jpg krt046.jpg krt044.jpg

Romaurie

AC Members
Nov 7, 2007
Romaurie Effect

The original video showing the 110cm glass tunnel linking 2 X 40 litre aquariums is on YouTube.The principal of this giant public aquarium is the same.A much larger vacuum pump is used to evacuate the cross section.The vacuum also prevents water coming out the feeding hatches for the fish.

I particularly like the quote from Arthur.C. Clarke on their site: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".I remember the book that came from.

I wonder about my "Junior" member rating.I have been keeping water-life in various forms for the last 53 years.Started with something that crawled out the newt pond on Southampton common.

Last edited:

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
got jus one thing to say......
WOW! ....spelled backwards even!....
WOW! lol
Beaux

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
All-pro right there! I salute you, my superior member!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
We've had someone post up pictures of this once before. a very cool concept.

Q

Romaurie

AC Members
Nov 7, 2007
I have been working on a "simulated_tidal-pool" using a small electronic timer to activate the vacuum-pump and remove the water from the lower aquarium to a tall inverted aquarium.The timer is programmed for 6 hour intervals.
This was prompted by a question from the staff at Eilat's Marine Observatory as to whether "The Romaurie Effect" could be used for this purpose.I am using the process just for providing extra air flow to 1 of my inverted aquariums.
I was so pre-occupied by the "spin-offs" from my R&D that this development in Vietnam really "gob-smacked" me.If you look at the small glass bowls attached to the aquarium sides, you will see 4 small screws which presumably have nuts and washers inside.If you are familiar with the bird drink tube that provides water from an inverted clear plastic container into a small bowl,allowing birds to drink the water and automatically replenish the water from the reserve tube when the "vacuum is broken" by the level in the bowl dropping-----you can see the "link" as to how this fish feeder works.The bowl has to be fixed securely as visitors could "dislodge" the bowl which would slowly but surely empty the whole vacuumed section.
I am grateful to the Vietnam aquarium for "giving me a nod" by including my video and link to "Instructables" where I have posted detailed instructions on how to build an inverted aquarium.
And I in turn give "a nod" to "Bio-Elites" clear plastic tube linking 2 aquariums which was prompted by a 1934 US patent for linking 2 aquariums by a plexiglass tube.Their systems involved filling the clear tube in a bath, closing the ends and then lifting and placing the tube into 2 aquariums.When you open the clear tube, the water remains inside.This prompted me to use a refrigeration vacuum pump and "schreider-valve" to induce the vacuum artificially.The 1st. test was on copper pipes with a small clear plastic tube to indicate when the pipes were full.Problem was it filled so quickly a few liters of water got sucked into the vacuum pump before I managed to shut it off.Spent 3 hours flushing the vac pump with new oil while feeling rather "chuffed" that it had worked and that I could set to work building a glass tunnel.
That's pretty much what got the Romaurie Effect started.
The "bummer" is that someone had a US patent issued in Feb.2005, one year after my tunnel was up and running for "an aquarium enhancement" system using a vacuum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store