white clouds dying!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I'm at a complete loss here. I setup a new tank recently. It's seeded from my large tank, so no real cycle. It has 2 honey gouramis, some brigs, and white clouds.

problem? white clouds keep DyING!!! I get them at petsmart. I don't usually buy fish there, it's usually pretty risky, but they're the only place that has them. I started with 10. Within 2 days I lost 3. got 3 more. That was Friday. Lost one over hte weekend, 1 last night, and now one is dying as I type this. I have NO idea what's wrong. Here's the params:

temp: 73 (they should be fine in anything below 75 from what I've read)
ammonia, nitrites, nitrates all at 0ppm (it's a planted tank). ph: 7.0

At first I thought it was jsut the luck of the draw coming from petsmart. Now I'm getting frustrated though.

any thoughts? I've never experienced this with any fish before. Everything says they're soooo hardy, yet this is NOT proving to be the case.

nene

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
CENTRAL INDIANA
Oh Gosh, so sorry. Someone should come along soon. White Clouds are a hardy fish so I am thinking they must have been affected with something before you got them especially if the Honey Gouramis are doing o.k. Hope things get better soon.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I jsut ran another batch of tests. My ph is actually 6.6. I guess the driftwood (which I jsut removed fearing it got contaminated somehow) has dropped it. This is still a reasonable number though. Also, the nitrates are up to 5ppm.

I got the 2nd 3 at a different petsmart. I don't know if they're some of the ones dying or not though. I can't tell :-(

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Seeing as they're all from the same source, that would be my guess as to the problem. Likely all from the same shipment too.

pH should not be the problem as long as you acclimate. Minor pH adjustment happen quickly for fish.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
so I guess I'll jsut leave them all to be for now and hope that when I get back from vacation in 1 1/2 weeks, there's at least those 3 from the other petsmart still alive. we shall see. I hope your right jpap. they're such bueatiful little things, I really want to be able to keep them!!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
any thoughts? I've never experienced this with any fish before. Everything says they're soooo hardy, yet this is NOT proving to be the case.
They are just like neons and dwarf gouramis. I wonder if these were inbred a lot. A lot of the fish that used to be categorized under the term "hardy" nowadays tend to be more frail to me. I wonder if this is the case wit yours but as it is a chain store, sometimes I don't trust myself to shop for fish in chain stores even locally in my own country.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
my white clouds are increadibly hardy. i've never had one over half an inch die on me. if the remaining ones you have don't make it try getting some from a different source. you might get some shipped to you if you place an ad in the classifieds here. they are super easy to breed too, so even if you only have a couple left you can get more that way. :) is your tank too warm maybe? they like cooler water. i don't have a local petsmart but i've had trouble getting fish from walmart. they sometimes have different treatments in their water and the fish get shocked when they go into water that doesn't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store