my little ranchu

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lankynick007

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2009
One of my ranchu's has a bacterial infection on one side of his gill. I have treated the tank with tetra tonic (it turned the whole tank green for a few days) and ive also placed some tonic salt in the water. The infection seems to be growing by 1mm a day. its not affecting the other fish in anyway i can see, all of them are still eating and swimming around very merrily, please help!

pics below

nick

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
What you need here, rather than a tonic or a remedy, is antibiotic. I would isolate the fish into a bare bottom quarantine/hospital unit, and begin treating with a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn two consecutively. You need to be doing daily water changes to keep the water as pristine as possible, which is why it is easier to remove the sick fish and treat alone in a separate tank. If this is indeed gill disease, you also need to make sure to have the water extremely well aerated. The meds alone cut down on the amount of dissolved O2 in the water.

Kristina

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Potentially, yes. I would not worry about treating the entire tank at this time, just do daily partial water changes and keep it clean clean clean! Keep an eye on the other fish, and if they start to exhibit symptoms treat accordingly.

Kristina

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
:iagree:

Kyryah has it right - you need an antibacterial treatment like the Maracyn/MarcynII regimen. It will kill off the bacterial infection that is causing the open wound.

This is on his gill plate and hasn't yet reached the gills, fortunately, so he should still be able to breathe fine. But I would second the recommendation for extra aeration - he might not be breathing on that side as much as normal, so you want to be sure he can get all the oxygen he needs with just the healthy side. A strong airstone, a powerhead churning up the surface or a spraybar on your filter outlet will work nicely.

Best of luck to you and him!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store