How to get african cichlids to grow quickly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
I am trying to find out ways or methods to get my juvies to a descent size in about 3 months. Any help or remedies that work will be appreciated. Please nothing that you have heard of or thing that might work because not tryin to kill them just getting them a bigger before i move and it gets cold. Thanks to all.

Mr.peacock

AC Members
Aug 31, 2009
i keep a flat bottom tank with a bigger filter for current feed three times a day and a 10 percent water changes ever 3 days and my fry grows super fast

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Good diet, warmer temps and frequent water changes. A good size grow out tank helps as well.
That's pretty much it. I like New Life Spectrum as feed myself - plus some fresh veggies (courgette in particular). Keeping nitrates below 20 ppm is key imo.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
What they said! I can definitely attest to a bigger tank helping too. I had to hold one batch of fry in a breeder net while waiting for my dividers to come and the difference at 3 weeks between them and the ones that had the whole tank is significant. And since I moved them to the grow out tank they are just growing like crazy! Comparing albino socolofi & red zebra OBs so very similar fish.

I fed brine shrimp, algae wafer bits & finely crushed veggie flake for the 1st 2 weeks. Then I started giving them fresh veggies, NLS growth & Kens veggie sticks w/ Calcium. At 5 weeks my bigger albinos are just under 1". I did not raise the temp though because I hear that shortens their life expectancy. Good luck!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Also to agree with above really the main ingredient is water changes daily and enough space and a steady temp that isnt too cold..

3x a day for feeding..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store