Regal with Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thetermite

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
Dubai
right, last night my beautiful regal was doin great! however, i get back from work today to find my regal covered in whitespot! all other fish are clean...for now!

I got a 600 liter tank, but no QT! my kid broke it. I would treat the whole tank with hydrogen peroxide or sulfer dioxide, but i also got a few corals, an anemone and a few other inverts :(. so i cant use those methods!

any other ideas? setting up a QT will require me driving 45 mins and getting a brand new one (which will eventually happen) but, they close over the weekend!

help would be good. how long does ich normally take before it takes its toll on the whole tank and cause fatalities? i just fed the fish...with a nice dose of vitamins. they were all eating, including the regal. which is a good sign.

help pls.

Thanks

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Unfortunately, there's no easy answer for your question, I'm afraid. The other fish may or may not manifest the symptoms of the disease. The tang may or may not recover on its own. Either way, you can be sure that you'll likely have a low-level chronic infection of ich in your tank--whether the fish show it or not. If you want to be completely sure it is eradicated, you'll need to treat every single fish at the same time, something that you are not likely able to do (and certainly not with a quarantine that small). You should always quarantine fish before they are placed in the display and there are very few exceptions to this (most of the exceptions apply to more delicate and/or finicky fish). For now, all I can suggest is to keep an eye on the fish. If symptoms get worse and/or the fish stops eating, setting up a quarantine tank is your only option to get the job done. I recommend either hyposalinity or cupramine by Seachem. The latter is practically the only copper-based medication I ever recommend.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Are you talking about a Regal Tang, Paracanthurus hepatus, or a Regal Angel, Pygoplites diacanthus?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store