Black Lights for my REEF

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whoa dude

Registered Member
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Hello, I just set up a 100 gallon reef tank. My live rock has been in the tank for a little over a week now and I just put an elegants coral in it. It looks pretty cool in there, although it doesn't come out as much now as it did the first day or so...All i can think of that might be wrong is my lighting...I was told to get some VI joe lights...I am about to buy some but I was wondering if anyone has seen a 4ft VI joe black light bulb anywhere or if so, where? I think it would look real cool under a black light, and so would all the clown fish that I plan to put in it. Thanks for you help.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Might look cool...until the coral dies from insufficient light. Blacklights don't provide enough photosynthetically useful light. I'm not quite sure what a "VI Joe" light is, but I suspect the person told you to get VHO lighting. :) VHO stands for "Very High Output" as compared to regular fluorescents. You would still need quite a number of VHO bulbs to adequately light a 100g tank. I would suggest looking into metal halide instead.

What lighting do you have over the tank right now? Elegance corals are notoriously fragile, and you might need to move quick on a lighting upgrade if you want a chance to keep this coral alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store