Thinking of switching from FW to SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I have fallen head over heels for a special little eel that I saw in a lfs, he is a little over a foot long and I think he is a zebra eel (simply from the colors), only problem is that I have no clue how to deal with a saltwater tank. I was going to set up a new 75 gal tank for some fw fish but now I'm rethinking it and maybe it would be a good sized tank for a zebra eel. I've done some research on zebra eels and saltwater tanks, but it helps to hear what others have to say. I know that it will be more expensive to set it up as SW but I can deal with that.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
sounds like a good idea to me. I'd love to have a salt water tank, but am afraid of the cost and maintanence of it. Those zebra eels are cool looking!

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Hehe I have to agree ^^ I was originally going to make it a freshwater tank for some comets but the zebra eel stole me away, I've just never had a saltwater tank for, I don't know what I need. I know from a little research that I need a sump and a protein skimmer (don't ask me what they are though because I'm clueless) If I can get it set up, all I want in the tank is the zebra and maybe some of the little clown fish (since my sister would kill me if I didn't include them)

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I have 3 kids age 5,3 and 2 who would go crazy if I set up a NEMO theme tank in our house! lol

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Lol! Thats why she wants them, so I will probably end up getting a blue tang too so we could have Dory too

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
ok so not to hijack your thread, but maybe you or someone can answer a question that has bugged me about the NEMO movie for a long time.

When nemo gets taken and put in the dentist's tank, that is a salt water tank, yes??
Well, isn't that one fish, the one who is the "boss" and keeps scheming to get out, isn't that an angel fish? a freshwater angel fish? Am I completly dilusional? Or is it just a salt water fish that resembles an angel fish?? I'M SOOOOO CONFUSED!

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
hmmm well, could be but he sure looks like an angel. maybe I can find a clip on youtube.... lol.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
i just looked at the "shark bait" clip on youtube. I still maintain that's an angel fish LOL!!! oooh well. Anyways, I think you should go for the SW set up. Sounds like a fun project! Then you can give me lots of advice if I ever become brave enough to take the dive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store