Rimless tanks risky?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I love the looks of a rimless tank. I am thinking about starting a reef with a 75g rimless tank from Glasscages. But what concerns me is fish jumping out. Do you think this is something to really be worried about? Also, without having a hood, I would think that evaporation is a nightmare along with dust getting into the tank. What are your thoughts? :hypnotized:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Jumping is always a risk with these tanks, unfortunately. Most people who are concerned about it will place eggcrate or screen material across the tank. This does diffuse some light intensity, however.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Also, the new fad is now to use Clear plastic netting as the top, looks like it is made out of fishing string, so it isn't as much of an eye sore as egg crate. I definately like the looks of a rimless tank but don't like the drawbacks that come with it personally.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I have only seen it as a "Group Buy" on RC. They just had one in the SoCal forum on there. 10 cents a square foot is what it came out to. Minimum order was a roll 14'x25' so it isn't easy to come by. Seems the only way to get it now is to arrange a group buy on it. I haven't been able to find a source for it myself though other than the GBs. At 1/4" holes it seems to be smaller than the bird netting used to protect crops and bigger than the insect repelent type netting. It is the same size as "casting" nets used for fishing though.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I love those tanks but I was thinking the same thing. What kind of fish wouldn't jump out?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Dust, and more importantly cat hair, have not been an issue in our reef tank despite it being open top (but it's not rimless) and us having 2 cats. Even our sump is open -- no doors on the stand -- and neither are a problem. I don't know if we're just lucky, as a friend has a single cat and always notices cat hair in her tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store