Bully Discus - Hiding Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swick003

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Hello,

I've had my 6 discus for about 3 months now. I have 3 mid-sized and 3 full-grown.

At first everything was cool but for the past couple months 2 of the mid-sized discus hide in my anubias plants ALL day because they are continuously getting picked on by the 3rd mid-sized discus. The 3 full-grown discus are fine, its just the 3rd mid-sized discus that picks on the other 2. The only time they EVER leave the plants is when they eat.

I was thinking maybe take the bully out for a couple weeks and then reintroduce him to the tank?

Any other options?

Thanks

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
yeah I dont think this is too uncommon, I had the same issue.
I wound up seperating them for a wile, and re introducing them later. It worked for me...

I had 3 that picked on a single little guy...

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Zig's right, best thing to do is separate it out for a while. I had an extreme bully, would terrify the entire clan when feeding time came. I tried the separation trick but it didn't change her attitude when I reintroduced her back into the main tank. Stressed all the other discus and me so I gave her away. Every now and again you get one with a really bad bully attitude and they don't change.

swick003

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
ok hes in a completely empty 30g right now all by himself (no fish, no gravel, no plants etc)... he looks a bit startled right now, is this ok for him to be alone like this for a few weeks?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
yeah, I put mine in a 37 by herself for a couple months.. She always terrorized a marlboro red in the 125... I put her back after a couple months and she spawned with the red.. now that stay together all the time.

Yours is adjusting to its new surroundings and has nowhere to hide, so its gonna be a little freaked out for a while..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store