Stupid ?#$#$@ fish store, I really want my chromies :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Heres the story.
I live in a smaller town, at least an hour away from any sort of LFS... minus Wally world, which soo doesnt count.
I finally found some orange chromides after a long search,a very long search.
I went to the LFS. not going to name names, but it was horrible.
Place was run down etc, tanks everywhere and gosh knows what.
I went to the tank the orangies were in, and they looked horrible. at least 2-3 were pale, not even orangey and they were all swimming around the bottom.
I was concerned, so I talked to the fish man. and he said they would be putting the tank brackish to see if they got healthier. I was like ok awesome!
Its been 2 weeks. the tank turned back to fw and the fish are doing bad again.
Im sick of this. This is the only place I have found within a 3 hour drive that sells these cute lil guys. I need them!
Any suggestions for me?

I live in Alberta Canada, and I would get them shipped to me, but everyhwre I have found does not ship to my location or charges at least $100 minmum shipping....
I want five of these lil buggers in my tank... im getting to the desperate part where I just want to go buy them, sick of not , put them in my qt tank and hope they color up and get better, but I know thats not necessarily a good idea.... help?

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Either you can take your chances at recovering them at your house

Or you can take a vacation to California, find a fish store that will have them in stock, and leave back to canada the day you have them! Of course there might be some paperwork or something... I don't even know if that's legal.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
Heres the story.
I live in a smaller town, at least an hour away from any sort of LFS... minus Wally world, which soo doesnt count.
I finally found some orange chromides after a long search,a very long search.
I went to the LFS. not going to name names, but it was horrible.
Place was run down etc, tanks everywhere and gosh knows what.
I went to the tank the orangies were in, and they looked horrible. at least 2-3 were pale, not even orangey and they were all swimming around the bottom.
I was concerned, so I talked to the fish man. and he said they would be putting the tank brackish to see if they got healthier. I was like ok awesome!
Its been 2 weeks. the tank turned back to fw and the fish are doing bad again.
Im sick of this. This is the only place I have found within a 3 hour drive that sells these cute lil guys. I need them!
Any suggestions for me?

I live in Alberta Canada, and I would get them shipped to me, but everyhwre I have found does not ship to my location or charges at least $100 minmum shipping....
I want five of these lil buggers in my tank... im getting to the desperate part where I just want to go buy them, sick of not , put them in my qt tank and hope they color up and get better, but I know thats not necessarily a good idea.... help?
i live in rural ontario and have a similar issue. i spent some time searching google and found a semi-local site like this one and have been able to get most of the things i was looking for through there. maybe try googling alberta aquarium forums or something like that

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Im apart of alberta aquaria but no one ever posts there! plus thats how i found the first and only store I have seen them in...

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
Ask the store what live guarantee they have. You should QT the new fish anyways, so maybe you can give them a better life.
I know it not a great idea to support a store that sells unhealthy fish, but it may be your only affordable choice.
Not sure if the chromides the store had where young, but mine colored up more as they aged.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
tell the lfs employee that the fish are obviously not doing well under the care of the store and you will gladly take them off their hands at half price!

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
The thing is they are having a sale as well. all 5 five together ar $25 if I want them all. This is a no live guarantee because everything is more than half price ATM. I can tell they are young, but when a fish is see through and is moping around the bottom, somethings wrong. I will be QT'ing them for sure, but my gut is telling me something other than the lack of brackish is wrong... Its an asian store, they believe all their stock is perfectly healthy etc. They got offended a bit when I said I would like to get them cheaper because they are ill. As well, Im no fish medic or diagnostician, so I have no clue what may be wrong. :(

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson

JamieB

JamieB
Oct 9, 2005
currently in another Orbit
Love your kiss panda sig Johnlarson! You're tanks rule too!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store