Building custom tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swull

AC Members
Dec 25, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
building custom acrylic tank. cant decide between 24 and 20 inches tall. I plan on a reef tank. Any suggestions? Will this impact the quality of the light reching the bottom of the tank? The
tank will be 28'' wide and 32" long.

thnx

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
The deeper the tank, the stronger the lighting you will need, but lighting will also depend on what you keep for corals. Consider this too......... The deeper the tank, the harder it is to reach the bottom.

Twize

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
www.twize.com
Swull
Also you have to remember, if you get a deep aquarium, and you have some light dependent sps's you can always arange them higher up in the aquarium display and still enjoy the larger viewing space of the taller tank. :)

At 24", Using multiple combinations of 175w, 250w should prove successful.

Regards,
Twize
My Tank Specs
www.Twize.com

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would go with the 20. While the increased depth of the 24 increases the volume and swimming area, it will not increase the surface area, and surface area is more restrictive than volume in terms of stocking.

Twize

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
www.twize.com
I guess we need to see the big picture of your total projected setup, the surface area on a tank this size is no issue if you have the adequate equipment setup (sump, refugium, skimmer, water flow amount etc...)

IMO and from my experience on my Big tanks and reef collegues (also with very large tanks), 4" is not much of a concern for lighting @ 20" . Believe me many of my colleagues grow light needy sps's in +30" tanks with 175w MH. Again, its what your willing to spend and If you have the means to purchase the bigger tank along with the (key) "appropriate equipment", you won't be unhappy with the results.

Thx,
Twize
www.Twize.com

Last edited:

Swull

AC Members
Dec 25, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
The plan is to make or have someone make(which ever one will be cheaper) a custom acrylick tank with the dimensions L 31 3/4" x W 28" x H 20" or 24". Holding power of 75 gallons.

Filtering will be underneath the tank havent decided on exactly what type of filtering yet. Possibly a wet/dry and protien skimmer in a sump tank. The tank will have live rock and live sand too. Would like to put refugium but i dont think there is enough room.

How many gph should be filtered for a 75 gallon tank?

thnx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store