juvie vs adult severum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
well, everytime i see green severums..they're barely green at all. more so a musty brown..whats up with that? i see images on google, and some of them are ACTUALLY green!! and you can ACTUALLY see the stripes?!

anyways, ive been looking for a big centerpiece for my 55(10 T.barb, 10 rummies, 2 gbr) and people suggested severums.. i dont like the white ones, but i saw these red headed severums at my LFS. again, in pics on google theres actually red, and they look sort of appealing like this:

..but in the store they look morel ike this:

(more so the second pic, without the red at the bottom)

whats up with that? do they change their color as they mature?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
With a lot of fish its impossible to tell the full adult coloration as a juvie, especially in a fish store when they are not in the best conditions. I cannot say for sure what it will look like, but with good water and a good diet its colors should be enhanced. Can't guarantee anything though ;)

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
the first pic is a rotkiel severum, means red shoulder i belive. the second pic is a juvie. the colors will come with age and proper conditions and diet i have green sevs, sometimes they can be almost black they are so dark other times they can be yellow.. them bad boys change color more than i change underwear lol

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
are severums interesting? is it a good center piece fish? how fast do they grow? are they like gouramis, were they just like to stay at the top? are they slow movers?

tryin to decide if i wanna spend 10 bucks on it or not.

tjg2007

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
I have a gold severum that I bought on 01-15-09. I will include some pic in this reply the first is a close up from the first day I got him the second is a tank shot from 02-13-09 and the third is a shot from 08-16-09 so you can see the growth. Sorry about the picture quality they are from my cell phone.

0115091709.jpg 0213091630.jpg 0816091546.jpg

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
They are worth the money, i just got my 2 severums within the last 3 months and they are surprising me everyday with color and attitudes. I have two of the red shoulders, an adult and a juvenile. Growth rate is fairly quick, love to eat. Mine explore all levels of the tank. They can be fast or slow swimmer depending on who is chasing them. I hope you find a new severum friend.

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
At the local fish store they are probably stressted. When I first bought my green severum he was really stressted. Accumalted him to my big tank and he really fit in. He got all his colors. A month later I find out my green severum is actully a rotkiel severum. While I was doing a waterchange I notice red on his face. WOW! He also grew from an 1-3''. So if I were you I'd buy a severum you could get my luck!
-Alex

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
my severums are my favorite fish.. only have one left tho his buddy took a midnight flight a while back i found him 10 ft ftom the tank the next day

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
gettig only one is fine, right? will it be fine in a 55g with 10 t.barbs, 2 rams, and 10 rummies?

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
yep they arent a schooling fish, tho when i had 2 they were always close

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store