URGENT: Betta needs help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
I just rescued a betta from my friend's sister. It has the beginning stages of dropsy and about 1" of brown water in a half gallon bowl. I did a small water change and added a bit more water so he had more swimming room, but the smell is just awful :yuck:. I don't want to shock him, but I really need to get that bowl clean. How often should I do water changes until it's cleaner? Hardly any of the stuff in the bowl is fish-safe, but I took a little bit out because I didn't think I should take it all out at once. I'm not sure if he'll pull through or not but if there's anything I can do I want to help him. I want to move him to my 10g soon as well. :help2: Thanks!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
change that water... all of it. you can put a bucket or something above it with an air hose to siphon it into the bowl if it makes you feel better. that fish needs clean, dechlorinated water now though.

whatever is in there should probably be taken out also. if it's not fish safe it's an issue you don't need to deal with right now.

ajbassmaster

AC Members
Nov 1, 2008
Erie, PA
stress coat in complete new water, or add fresh water in a greater ratio than the brown water so there is some bacteria but keep changing the water till it is completely clean water

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
What's in the bowl that's not fish safe?

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
I agree. No point on doing partial water changes in a 1/2 gallon bowl because unless you change all its water frequently it's hard to keep clean water conditions in a place that small. :/ And even if the stuff in there is fish safe, I'd just take everything to let the betta move...

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
!00% immediately

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
What's in the bowl that's not fish safe?
Well there were these plastic-toy like flowers and tiny flower pots which I took out, but the 'gravel' is these little plastic shiny things which I still need to remove.

I'm going to do small water changes over the course of the day today and remove everything from the bowl (maybe even the silk plant, although I want to give him some shelter). The good news is that he ate this morning and is swimming around a lot with all the extra room he has since I filled the bowl to the top. Bad news is there is no doubt he has dropsy. I really wanted to move him to my 10g snail tank, but I think I need to begin treatment ASAP. Any advice is welcome. I included a picture from when I first brought him home that shows the condition everything was in (you can see him in the bottom left, he's a beautiful plakat!). The bowl was stinking up the whole house, but now you can't smell it (thankfully). BTW- the fish has been living this way for 2 YEARS!! :thud:

DSCN2211.JPG

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Good for you for saving the betta, Lexi. Most plastics like the "pebbles" in the tank are likely to be fish safe. I would concentrate more on the quality of the water, which you obviously are doing. Keep up the good work.

Unless the edges are sharp on the plastic discs, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store