question about angel fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i have had 2 diffrent angelfish..1 coral beauty and 1 singapor..both of them had a fungus on the eyes.(cloudy eyes).the CB died soon after i noticed the fungus. the i had bought the singapor..after about a month she had the same thing..so i moved her to a hospital tank..and treated her with meds.( meracyel plus?) i think that's what it is called. any way she died..( from not eating for so long).my question is does anybody have any idea what cause the cloudy eye fungus and how to prevent it? cause it seems to always happen with the angel fish..

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I think the cloudy eye was a secondary issue at the most. There were likely more serious problems that led to the fishes' death. Can you give as complete a list of water parameters as possible, please, in addition to a detailed description of your setup? Please also provide numerical values for all tests and not qualitative descriptions like "it's fine." What were you attempting to feed them? How long did you have them? Also, the cloudiness was likely bacterial in origin and in most situations, the fish recovers on its own without the need for treatment. Only rarely should you have to intervene with a single cloudy eye.

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
well i mhad the water tested by my LFS..they said that the ph was 0.84 and the nitrates were at 0.25..the nitrites were at 0..and the amonia was at o..also. so the test were reading were they should be. i was also told that the cloudy eyes were caused by the ph. in the fresh water that i was adding during my water changes..the ph. in the fresh water was much lower than the water in the tank..so i was told to add a ph. buffer to the fresh water when doing a water change and that should help..both of the angelfishes eyes were cloudy for a couple of weeks. and durring that time she couldn't see to eat. i think that's why she starved to death..i tried diffrent foods .frozen brine shrimp, flake food, and a pellot food..i think hat happened to the scooter blenny was that i didn't have enough copods in the tank for him to eat..cause he wouldn't eat fish food..i have since had my water tested in the tank again and the only thing they found wrong was they said that i had a little amonia in the tank. it was at 0.25..he said to wait a few days and have it tested again..i have since added a pouch of copods to the tank to let them multiply for a while..but everybody else in the tank is fine and happy.so i'm not sure if it was the ph. that caused the cloudy eye or if it could have been amonia burn..but it affected both eyes..her eyes were almost clear before she died. but she went for so long without eating and she was so skinny..

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm assuming you meant 8.4 on pH, which is a perfectly acceptable number and will absolutely not cause clouded eyes. Clouded eyes by themselves will not cause a fish's death, either (unless it is blind from extended infection or serious trauma). I believe your fish had some other external issue that caused its death and the clouded eyes were merely a secondary symptom. Whenever you have ammonia, you should perform a water change--preferably a larger one. That will help get it down immediately. Never wait for it to go down on its own, as the fish suffer in the meantime.

What is your alkalinity after adding the buffer? Your pH was more than high enough, so I can't imagine a buffer doing any good (to the contrary, with lots of potential harm). Lastly, I think you will be better served if this is in the disease forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store