Suggestions for algae eating/bottom dweller(s) for a 29 long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

in the pines

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
just moved to Ruidoso, NM!
Today I am rehoming my pleco, who obviously would get too large for my tank, but I *really* wanted him and he was so little at the time I bought him, I was a fool to think he wouldn't get huge. He's six inches not including his tail now! His new owner is coming to pick him up. She has a 90 gallon, which I think he will enjoy.

So... I have room for an algae eater. Or group of algae eaters. Do you have any suggestions?

In my tank, I have an angel, a dwarf gourami, 4 surprisingly tame tiger barbs, 3 kuhli loaches and 3 cory cats. My readings are always perfect, and I do 50-60% water changes every two weeks and a small one inbetween, so more than the typical one inch per gallon is do'able.

I wish I could do snails, because I loved the mystery snail we had, but it was unfortunately pecked to death by the angel of all fish. That angel really had it out for the snail. So no snails.

Thanks everyone!
Kathy

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
Bristle nose pleco, or some pitbull plecos if you could find any. But the bristlenose will probably be you best shot.

in the pines

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Bristle nose pleco, or some pitbull plecos if you could find any. But the bristlenose will probably be you best shot.

I just took a peek at the Pitbull pleco and that would be fantastic. I wonder if an LFS would be willing to buy one for me with one of their connections. The bristlenose weirds me out, unfortunately. I don't think I could get over my initial reaction of thinking it has a fungal growth on his head. No offense to those in love with the bristlenose pleco!

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
The females don't get as bristly. My females don't have any.

in the pines

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
ok I want a zebra pleco. they are gorgeous!

are they really ok to get with my cory cats? i was just reading and it said that other fish should be upper tank fish, as they become aggressive about food and territory. if it's only one or two in my 29 long, will this be an issue?

i have lots of river rocks and a fake hollow log as well as a big piece of real driftwood i can set up for housing.

and i saw on ebay they were selling for $140+60 shipping??? And elsewhere I saw they were for sale at 16-20 each.

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
ok I want a zebra pleco. they are gorgeous!

are they really ok to get with my cory cats? i was just reading and it said that other fish should be upper tank fish, as they become aggressive about food and territory. if it's only one or two in my 29 long, will this be an issue?

i have lots of river rocks and a fake hollow log as well as a big piece of real driftwood i can set up for housing.

and i saw on ebay they were selling for $140+60 shipping??? And elsewhere I saw they were for sale at 16-20 each.
They're fine, it will just kill your wallet, lol. I doubt you will find a L46 for 20$.

in the pines

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
I found one called the clown pleco, that is wallet friendly and kinda cool looking. Not striking like the zebra, but I'm fine with that. I loved my galoot of a standard pleco, I'm sure I'll love this one, too.

If there are any other suggestions, please tell me! Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store