3 month old glow fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
hello, I have an eclipse 12 gallon with 8 glow fish and two cherry shrimp.

I set the tank up with a fishless cycle.
I added the fish a little over 3 months ago and they have done really well right from the start.
ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate about 8-10
I clean the tank about once a week. The day before I fill a plastic tank with about 5 gallons of water and I add a spare power head and heater to that tap water to let it cycle. I checked with our water board and they only use chlorine, no chloramine. Still I have a basic dechlorinator that I still add 4 drops of to the 5 gallons of water just before I add it. The temperatures of the water are within a degree of each other, about 76-77 degrees.
I added all the fish at once and they have always been very active.
I feed a spirluina flake
http://www.lnt.com/product/marine-fish-food/47425/aquatrol-spirulina-20-flake-food.html
with a little of this flake
http://www.southernagriculture.com/...hPowerBurstsSuperPremiumTropicalFlakeFishFood

and some frozen daphnia.

the gills of the fish seem to be red to me and all the fish are less active then before, We noticed this yesterday and today they are still lethargic.
please see the pictures. the water is clear and I use a pad that I cut to fit for the filter pad
http://www.aquariumfiltration.us/p_pads.html

please see the pictures and thank you very much.
ps I have a movie to show the fish
http://daugird.com/upperleft.mov
look in the upper left corner. that fish is the most noticable behavior, this is during a feeding of frozend daphinia. They get this once a week( the night before I clean usually)
ps the shrimp seem fine and the have molted already since being added to this tank.

zebra1.jpg clear water.jpg

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
PS, I only change about 4 gallons at a time, the extra gallon is so I can "rinse" some of the plastic plants and other decorations in non chlorinated water.

thanks

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
are those water specs current? and what kind of biological filtration do you have on the tank? is there a spoge filter or filter floss i your filter alog with the carbon pad? did you resetly cage your filter pad? wen was te last water change? gravel vac?
and just to add, the water sitting in the empty tank won't cycle. it will just gas off some of the chlorine

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
are those water specs current? and what kind of biological filtration do you have on the tank? is there a spoge filter or filter floss i your filter alog with the carbon pad? did you resetly cage your filter pad? wen was te last water change? gravel vac?
and just to add, the water sitting in the empty tank won't cycle. it will just gas off some of the chlorine
Tested the water today, the biowheel is the biological filter.
I do vac the gravel.
I changed the filter pad after we noticed the fish were not doing well. So the pad was changed last night along with the water change.

I agree that the water in the empty tank won't cycle, I do it to let get the chlorine out and let some oxygen into the water. Also, I try to get it up to temperature.

Are gill flukes common for zebra danios?
is it possible to treat for gill flukes while the cherry shrimp and the pond snails are in the tank? does treating for flukes kill the biological filter?

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
gill flukes aren't all that common but they happen sometimes. i wouldn't really expose the shrimp and snail to the treatment as inverts are fairly sensitive to medications. i don't know much about treating gill flukes so i guess i'm not much help. your other stuff all seems right. you don't have to let the water sit out to gas off and i just adjust the faucet to about the right temp and add the declorinator. i wish i could be of more help, there doesn't seem to be many people coming in this sction

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Are gill flukes common for zebra danios?
is it possible to treat for gill flukes while the cherry shrimp and the pond snails are in the tank? does treating for flukes kill the biological filter?
Gill flukes are a very common occurrence with coldwater species. Unfortunately, this is very difficult to detect without a microscope however praziquantel is a mild yet effective treatment that can address the fluke problem and will not disrupt the biological filters. There are many kinds of flukes but most of it can be bombarded completely by praziquantel. Treat the fish separately. I have not tested prazi for shrimps and pond snails yet but it can kill nerite snails and ramshorn snails.

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
thanks everyone, I have softened water. that is why I pour only cold unsoftned water into the tank and then add a spare heater to warm it up.

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
they just seemed like they recovered.
the shrimp and snails are fine, and the cherry shrimp are still reproducing.
I have noticed small white worms floating in the water from time to time and when I vacuum the gravel I find larger worms in there.
here are some pics of the bigger worms. I can't get pics of the smaller worms.
I do NOT see anything on the fish themselves.
some of the fish seem fine and they eat so much that their stomaches get distended, this goes away by the next morning.
I am down to 5 danios in the tank

100_0571.jpg 100_0572.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store