Woot! My Kribs Bred!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Hooray! After 3 months, I look in the tank today, and see like 20-30 little fry swimming near their parents!

Any tips on what to do next? Should i get a breeder thing (one of those little tanks within a tank to protect the fry from bigger fish?)

What should I feed them? Should I separate them from their parents?

Ahh!! The worry of being a new parent... well not really but you know...

tweetyd

AC Members
Aug 2, 2009
S.NH
Congradulations! :clap: I wish I could be of some help But I'm a first time parent too . When they get big enough make sure you post some proud parent pics:)

daphilster08

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) Minnesota
Great job! I did this last year in my college dorm room. The parents do a great job handling the fry, that is until they have another batch a few weeks later :woot: I didnt do anything special because being in the dorm room is difficult, so I just crushed up flakes and water and put it in a syringe when its almost nothing. They loved it.

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Well, my tank isn't the ideal hatchery I'd think.

Mostly because I have a 4 inch or so Leopard Ctenopoma in there who likes to eat live fish... I've never fed him live fish (only crickets), and they are all well fed... but he often likes to venture over to the Kribs' side of the tank, and see how close he can get. Usually this results in a small pissing contest with an occasional nip. The Kribs have been the winners so far. So thats why I'm thinkin one of those fry chambers.

I was just going to move the fry into my community Shrimp/Dwarf Frog/2 Guppy 12 gallon, but my friend bought up the point that the fry might be too sensitive to water changes to make the trip...

Removing the Ctenopoma isn't an option, don't have anywhere to put her.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
putting them in the 12 gallon isn't a good idea either unless their by themselves, they get pretty mean with fry and if there were in that small of a tank I don't think the guppies and frog would be happy. I'm not sure how long your fry will last, at some point they will take the fry from one of the tank to the next and back and forth..... Hopefully you don't lose some then to the fish or the filter. What size tank is it? for the first few days they will stay in their area but when they wander off and you begin to lose some maybe you might think about siphoning the fry off and try to save them.

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
29 gallon, inhabitants in sig. If I go get a breeder thing (tank within tank) today, would that work?

Basically, I'm asking if krib fry need to remain with their parents for a certain amount of time before they can be removed?

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
oh, and i meant that i was thinking of transferring only the fry to the 12 gallon...not the parents too

after watching some videos and comparing size, i would say the fry are 9-10 days old

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
yea you can move the fry now if you wanted. They're free swimming they should be good to go. Don't freak out if you see the parents fight for a few days afterwards. Your frog might eat the fry, but they grow fast and should be big enough not to get eaten soon. congrats btw

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Should I move them into the 12 gallon (see sig) or get a breeder thing in the 29 tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store