Blue Hippo Tang in QT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Hi all,

I have a Blue Tang about 4" in my 20 gal QT Tank. He lays underneath the PVC that is in the tank almost all the time. He barely eats if any. His breathing looks ok and his color is excellent, except for a small (pinhead size) clear looking bump on the top/front of his dorsal fin. He has been in the QT tank for about 4 days now. I was using Kordon AmQuel to control the ammonia levels, though I didn't think I was going to have that problem since I put some biomax in the display tank for about a week before it was added to the QT Tank. The LFS steered me toward the API Stress Zyme (added 2 capfuls 24 hours ago). I am also using Sentry AQ Mardel Coppersafe (2 1/2 tsp added) and Bionox Extra Strength for Fungus and Bacteria (3/4 tsp added) at the suggestion of the LFS. I have already performed a 10 % water change, which is why I added the extra 1/2 tsp of Mardel. My ammonia was at .5 ppm 24 hours ago and now it is at .25 ppm. I have also been transfering a few extra bio balls a day to help with the ammonia levels. Is this what I should be doing? How long should I leave him in QT? I try to feed him 2 times a day with Spirulina with a drop of garlic on the food and the food is usually gone when I check on the tank but could the filter being gathering it? Does anyone know what the lethal amount of copper is? Parameters are:

Tank = 20 gal
S.G. = 1.016 (low to match the LFS, will bring up gradually)
Temp = 80
Ph= 8.4~8.5
Ammonia = .25 ppm
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Copper = 2 ppm (hard to read)

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
What is the reason for having the fish in QT? New addition precaution? Trying to cure the clear bump on it? Without identifying the specific ailment the fish has, it doesn't seem particularly wise to be dosing the tank with medications.

In any case, the fish's behaviour is likely the result of it being stressed by its surroundings (as well as the medications being dosed and possibly the low SpG). If it's scared, it will attempt to hide like that along whatever is present in the tank. If you can incorporate more PVC structures to provide shelter / security, it should help reduce the fish's stress level.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I disagree that you shouldn't treat fish prophylactically, but there are some issues here. Before you ever put a fish in the QT tank it should have been properly cycled. A fish in QT is stressed enough without ammonia and nitrites to deal with. Coppersafe is garbage. I believe that the recommended dose is up to 4 or 5 ppm. If you're going to use copper use copper! Plain old copper sulphate @ .15-.2 ppm will do the trick alot better than chelated copper. Not sure what's in Binox but I 'd forgo an antibiotic bath for some food that has been spiked with some Furan or Triple Sulfa. I use a single packet of antibiotic, dissolved in a tbsp of garlic juice mixed well with 3-4 oz of flakes, pellets, or freeze dried. Feed twice daily for a week. It's a pretty safe bet that the fish came in with flukes or MI so treating it is wise precaution.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
The Blue Tang is a new addition so he/she will be in QT for about 3 weeks. The mediciations are being used for precautionary measures since the LFS said it is wise to be proactive in preventative medicine becuase these guys are prone to parasites and etc. I will add more PVC to help provide more shelter. I am not sure about the clear bump, it doesn't seem to be getting larger. I thought the tank would not cycle since I used some biomax from my already cycled main tank. I was going to follow the dosing instructions for the Binox and re-dose 4 days after the initial dose, should I still do this? I will look into the Furan and Triple Sulfa. Thanks for all your advice.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Also, the Coppersafe instructions say to maintain 1.5-2.0 ppm for one month, does this sound right? What is a better copper medication for next time? And the 2nd dose of Binox seems to be optional.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Anytimes anyone need to set up Q/T , use all the waterfor Q/T from main tank (provided main tank is up to far and lot bigger than Q/T). Q/T water may or maynot go thru mini cycle thus checking it would be helpful. In case sudeen increase ammonia (NH3), could always do small water changes using main tank water. This should depends on amt of fish and food given in Q/T

Coppersafe: would not use it for neither f/w nor s/w. As mentioned above, any ionic copper around .15ppm (SeaCure Copper and its test kit by Aquarium Systems for example) should yield far better result than any chelated Cu.

Antibiotic for prophylactic purposes: I personally would not used any antibiotic w/o at least verifying specific symtoms which can render right kind of antibiotics (Educated guess is better than wild guess).
Although resistance to overuse of antibiotics may take long time to take place, still I would recommend very strongly against such practices.

Just an opinions.
Hope all goes well!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store