hyposalinity and live rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyTom

Registered Member
Sep 22, 2009
I performed hyposalinity with my FOWLR (with 1 hermit crab:)) main tank 3 days ago while trying to treat a suspected ick on my 4 small clownfish. As I am a newbie (only 3 weeks of saltwater experience), I didnt realize the possible effect of 1.010 salinity on the live rock and other helpful bacteria. I dont have a quarantine tank. Since the fish all seems okay (I suspected ick as my coral beauty died with white spots a few days back) and seeing that the algae in the live rock are disappearing, should I return the salinty to its normal state i.e., 1.020 or continue the 4 week treatment? What should I do with the liverock after hyposalinity? (also, need some advice on curing liverock) :help:

peasofme

AC Members
Aug 5, 2006
fremont,california
your tank needs to run 2 months without fish in it to get rid of ich. your clowns need to be quarantined, each in their own tanks till they no longer if ich. it takes 2 months after ich disappears from them for it to be truly gone. and you will never really know if your fish have really gotten rid of the ich or not. that is why quarantining everything before it gets to your tank is necessary. ich can be carried on anything, fish, inverts, rocks, sand, water, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store