Help me plan my dream tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alatariel

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2009
I had a 125 gal FO tank about 7 years ago, and had to give it up as I couldn't keep up with it. I've missed my fish ever since, and once I live in an actual house (hopefully in the next year or so) I plan on starting one up again.

My dream tank is in the very early planning stages. I want to learn from my previous mistakes to have a much better tank this time around. (I was plagued with water quality issues before.)

Right now I'm thinking about a 150-gal tank, and I want to use live rock this time along with a DSB so I can have better natural filtration. (I'm ashamed to admit that my old tank relied on two Penguin filters and a Remora Aqua-C skimmer.) I have an empty 25-gal tank that I can use for quarantine purposes, another thing I didn't do before. I'd like to have:
* porcupine puffer (he was my all-time favorite fish - I just love their personalities)
* dragon wrasse
* coral beauty angel
* foxface or a raccoon butterflyfish
* picasso trigger
* powder blue tang

I have kept all of the above with the exception of the powder blue and butterflyfish previously. I know the powder blues are difficult, but I really don't consider myself a total newbie. Rusty, yes, but I want a challenge. I'm pretty sure that all those fish would be too much bio load, but hey, I'm dreaming here! :) So, what kind of equipment would I need to do this right? I know a protein skimmer is a must for those messy eaters. I have some of my old equipment still, somewhere, 2 heaters, a couple powerheads, and the skimmer. If I get all this figured out now, I'll have plenty of time and incentive to save.

Thanks in advance!

Alatariel

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2009
I hadn't thought about it, but if it would be beneficial absolutely. I'm racking my brain about my old setup. I think I had a huge wet/dry filter underneath with a bunch of bio-balls in it that also acted as a sump, if I remember correctly. Again, I know bio balls aren't that great, so how could I set up a proper sump this time?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store