Abrassion/swelling on puffer...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I don't know what this is...but it's been like this for over a week now at least and it seems like it's getting worse. At first I thought it may have been a scrape against a rock or a sting from my frogspawn...it looks kind of like a sunburn that's making his skin peel or something. It has a couple areas where it has lifted up and turned into bubbles or boils if you will. Should I be concerned and is there any medication I should be treating it with if it is fungus or something possibly?

Here is a picture I just took...excuse the funny shape...it's the closest thing I had to a circle in photo shop.

He's eating perfectly fine and all...I just don't want the unmentionable to happen one day out of nowhere.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Keep a close eye on it for now. If it does worsen, you may want to place it in quarantine with a broad spectrum antibiotic, as it likely is bacterial if it worsens. Beyond that, I don't exactly know what is going on with the skin surface. I have seen odd discoloring reactions like this that suddenly happen, don't seem to harm the fish, and just take a long, long time to go away.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Pimafix and/or melafix?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Neither of those have done much, IME. I'd shoot for Nitrofurazone or kanamycin. If it were me, I'd use the latter. Only do this if you have a quarantine tank, though, and wait a bit longer to see if it actually does progress. Take pictures, too, so that you have an unbiased, 100% accurate measure to see if it truly is getting worse.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Okay, thanks. Under closer observation, the boil on the skin seems to flatten and wave when he is near water current. It's sort of like it's a liquid filled sac or something and it could burst with a pin prick. Perhaps it's some sort of blister?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Does bacterial mean the only way it could be healed is with antibiotics or can the fish recover on its own with proper diet and water conditions?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Does bacterial mean the only way it could be healed is with antibiotics or can the fish recover on its own with proper diet and water conditions?
That depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That is why I think you should keep a close eye on it before acting.

No, prazipro is primarily used to treat worms (very effective). You'll need antibiotics if you do decide to treat the fish. I'll be honest, though, in that I haven't quite heard of or seen what is going on with your fish (and after working at an LFS for years, I've seen a lot).

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
That depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That is why I think you should keep a close eye on it before acting.

No, prazipro is primarily used to treat worms (very effective). You'll need antibiotics if you do decide to treat the fish. I'll be honest, though, in that I haven't quite heard of or seen what is going on with your fish (and after working at an LFS for years, I've seen a lot).
What if it's flukes? I read that discoloration could be a symptom of that...that's why I brought up prazipro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store