Do you have a favorite reel or combo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Do you have a favorite rod or reel or combination rod/reel that you favor above all others you own?

My favorite rod is a 7' one I had custom made about 20 years ago. The reel is taped on and the handle has a small thin cork sleeve. I usually use an Abu Garcia Ambassaduer C3 reel on it but switched over to a Diawa Regal. I use this combination in fresh or salt and have landed some mighty big fish with it.

My second favorite is an 8'6" rod - Vortex by Silstar coupled with a Penn 940 Levelmatic. This is another one I use in salt and fresh.

I opt for the baitcasters with braided line most of the time except when I go in heavy brush where short flips are the main type of casting I do. I also have found that trout spook less with the mono over the braided. I also use braid on my boat rods as I can put more of it on than the equivalent mono.

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
I'm always rocking my 7' Shakespear Rod with my fav penn 360 reel

Always been my fav combo for saltwater

Lets not forget the Hydro poppers, nothing gets a bluefish or stripped bass like a yo-zuri hydro popper

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My favorite combo for the past couple of years has been a 7' St. Croix Medium Power, Fast Action Rod paired with a Daiwa Capricorn 3500 XTC (spooled with 14lb Power Pro).

It's been a great setup for inshore, pier, and light surf saltwater fishing.

Lets not forget the Hydro poppers, nothing gets a bluefish or stripped bass like a yo-zuri hydro popper
I've used those before, but I tend to favor Gotcha Plugs. For some reason I can catch 10x as many fish on the Gotchas rather than the Yo-Zuris. Give' em a shot if you can find them where you live.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
9 4wt lamiglas esprit graphite with SA2 disc drag reel
loaded with wf 4

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
Yup. Its pink!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
My favorite combo for the past couple of years has been a 7' St. Croix Medium Power, Fast Action Rod paired with a Daiwa Capricorn 3500 XTC (spooled with 14lb Power Pro).

I like the Yo-Zuri line of lures and have caught many blues on them over anything else.

I have been thinking about going to some Power-Pro braided line. I would like some input on it.

I have a couple of St Croix rods I use for trout or bass and I love them!

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
I like the Yo-Zuri line of lures and have caught many blues on them over anything else.

I have been thinking about going to some Power-Pro braided line. I would like some input on it.

I have a couple of St Croix rods I use for trout or bass and I love them!
Go Daiwa braided line, I use that in 80lb test for my musky rod and love it. Line never deforms and doesnt bleed like other lines do.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store