Betta fish care instructions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Betta Fish Care

I own a Betta fish and I have done a lot of research on Betta fish so I decided to share my knowledge and write about the basic care of Betta fish.

Tank size: opinions differ on what tank size is ideal for a Betta fish but I would have to say that the minimum tank size for a Betta fish is 2.5 gallons but bigger is better.

Filters: this is another thing that people disagree upon but in my opinion all fish (including Betta fish) should have a filter.

Heaters: Betta fish are tropical fish and require a heater set to about 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Feeding: most Betta fish food packages tell you to feed your Betta fish a few pellets a few times a day. This is too much. Most pet stores tell you to feed your Betta fish a few times a week. This is too little. I feed my Betta fish one pellet twice a day fasting my Betta fish one day a week (to help prevent constipation). Remember, a Betta fishes stomach is the about size of its eyeball. I recommend a product called Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, baby pellet size.

Tank setup: first set up your tank substrate, decorations, etc. the way you like them. Next fill the tank with conditioned water. Then fishless cycle your tank. After your tank is done cycling you can add your Betta fish to the tank.

Follow these instructions and your Betta fish will live a long and happy life:thm:.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hmmm Nice Care Sheet beats the ones give on the cups the fish come in.

Care Tip: Feed Sparingly Once A Day
Change 1/3 of Water Once A Week
Use Room Temperature Bottled or Dechlorinated Water

My Betta's get fed Bloodworms and Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. I do feed more then a pellet they gobble up bout 5-7 actually bloodworms they eat like crazy. Also I feed em most of the time twice a day. They take dumps normally. One betta had its fins all eaten off and now the colors on the regrown and still growing fins are stunning. Never seen a betta have so much shine.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I made a Betta care comic for a project in computer class. The comic is basically a shortened version of the care instructions in my first post.

Betta care comic.jpg

Note: I was going to make feeding two parts but ended up making feeding just one part. The reason it says part 1 is because I forgot to delete the words "part 1":duh:.

P.S. please DON'T repost this care comic as I worked hard on it and I don't want other people reposting it and claiming it as their own.

Betta care comic.jpg

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Hmmm Nice Care Sheet beats the ones give on the cups the fish come in.

Care Tip: Feed Sparingly Once A Day
Change 1/3 of Water Once A Week
Use Room Temperature Bottled or Dechlorinated Water

My Betta's get fed Bloodworms and Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. I do feed more then a pellet they gobble up bout 5-7 actually bloodworms they eat like crazy. Also I feed em most of the time twice a day. They take dumps normally. One betta had its fins all eaten off and now the colors on the regrown and still growing fins are stunning. Never seen a betta have so much shine.
Thank you for the compliment on my Betta care sheet.

A Betta fishes stomach is the size of it's eyeball. Also Betta fish will eat much more than is good for them so how much they eat is not a good way to judge how much to feed them. Live/frozen food can contain parasites and are even worse than pellets when it comes to causing constipation so the bloodworms should be fed only occasionally as a treat.

jmontee

AC Members
Apr 16, 2008
They do sell freeze dried blood worms but I haven't seen freeze dried brine shrimp, do a google serach and I'm sure you'll get your answer.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I'm just worried about allergies. I hear freeze dried blood worms can trigger alot of allergies. I'm not worried about me having allergies but my mom is allergic to a lot of things so I'm worried about her. Are allergies really an issue I should be concerned about?

spcjrc

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Can anybody here help me? I bought a betta yesterday and he won't eat his betta pellets. I dropped some freeze dried shrimp and he ate it but he's gonna need a little more varied diet than that. How can I entice him to eat his own food? He lives in a community tank where the fish are fed bloodworms, flakes, etc.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Can anybody here help me? I bought a betta yesterday and he won't eat his betta pellets. I dropped some freeze dried shrimp and he ate it but he's gonna need a little more varied diet than that. How can I entice him to eat his own food? He lives in a community tank where the fish are fed bloodworms, flakes, etc.
I would suggest giving Your Betta some time to adjust to his new tank. Also if your lfs fed your Betta something other than what you feed him than it may take some time for your Betta to adjust to the new food. It is completely normal for a Betta to not eat when you first get it and you just have to keep trying to get him to eat his pellets until he finally eats them. If your Betta does not eat for a week than I would ask your lfs what they fed him and switch to that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store