A mystery BN disappearance.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I notice suddenly today there's much fewer of them suddenly. The other day I saw a bunch hanging on the glass..I figured oh well, they must be hiding.
I removed all the hiding places and still not many left.
I can't even see any dead babies in there.

There's no other fish in the tank with them, just a pleco family tank. I've been getting them ready ( or at least some of them to be shipped off). Just to make sure they'd be ready for shipping, today I tested the water and the parameters are perfect.

What happened?...Did the parents turn on their babies because that's the only explaination I seem to have left.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
I'm running two filters behind a tank divider in that tank and I have not yet checked.
So far this has been the most effective way of keeping baby plecos away from filters.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The parents would not kill the babies. For some reason they've died. And their little bodies decompose very, very quickly. Could it be lack of food?

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
I don't think so?...I've been giving them slices of zucchini, but I was gone over the weekend.
Whatever happened effected all the smaller babies. The larger ones are all still here.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Were the smaller babies the same age and healthy looking?

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
No, they were from different litters/batches. 3 of the 4 left were from the June batch.
I had intended to give them all away, I ended up giving away 22 of them and 3 popped up in the tank later on.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
If water quality is within normal parameters and you fed them well and there's none in the filter, I don't know another feasible explanation. BN's do not kill their babies. The only killing you'll ever have with a BN is a fight between adult breeding male vs. adult breeding male, or a defensive tail slap from the dad while guarding eggs.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
I'm wondering if we had a cold snap here over the weekend.
I know this place is bad about temperature regulation sometimes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store