ANOTHER noob question: filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
I have yet another question, this time about replacing the filter media. The directions for the canister filter I have says that you're supposed to replace the filter media every 4-6 weeks. However, wouldn't you be removing most of the good tank bacteria that is living in your filter media?

My filter came with activated carbon, which I read isn't the greatest, especially since I'm trying to keep my pH low, so I was going to remove the filter media and replace it with one that doesn't have the carbon. My tank is still cycling though, and I finally have a healthy ammonia eating bacteria population (working on nitrite now!) and I would hate to see them killed.

Is it true that the bacteria live on the plastic part that you don't replace, and in gravel/decorations, so you CAN change the filter media? I opted to wash the filter media itself with some tank water and put it back in because I was worried I would be hampering the cycling process. I'm slowly learning that I don't know as much as I thought I knew about this stuff!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Activated carbon is only active for about 4 to 6 weeks and needs to be replaced after that. If it is not replaced as it breaks down in your filter it is possible that it can leak all the stuff that it removed back into the tank.
The good bacteria does live in your gravel so when you remove your filter media you are only removing half of the good bacteria. So, I have always been told that on the day you change your filter media it is best to not do a really thorough gravel vac and instead only hover over the surface of your substrate to suck up any left over food or fish waste that has not sunk into the gravel. Do your good gravel vac the next time you change the water.
There are some types of filter media that have lots of surface area for good bacteria to grow on and never have to be replaced. Try looking into these. I dont have a canister filter and it has been a while since I worked at a pet store that sold them, so I cannot remember the names of them. I am sure that someone who does will jump in soon.

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
Actually, I must have been confused when I was writing that- I definitely don't have a canister filter in my little tank just a power filter. Disregard that part!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Does it hang on the back or is it fully submersible. If it hangs on the back you can add a sponge from an aquaclear or a fluval filter that will only have to be changed when it starts falling apart and should just be gently squeezed in a bucket of tank water when you do water changes. You can also add bio-beads from aquaclear that will never be changed and only gently shaken in a bucket of tank water. The fluval in tank ones come with the filter sponges but dont really have room for the bio-beads.
I rigged up my biowheel hang on back filters to work like an aquaclear with the sponges and beads but also have the biowheel. The best of both worlds. I have had the same sponges for a year and they are still fully functional and do not need to be changed. Just gently squeezed so that the flow of the filter does not get reduced.

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
It's a hang on the back filter. The replacement filters I have come with the activated carbon in little packets separate from the "filter" part (not sure what to call it, as it isn't exactly a sponge). I think I might attempt to change the filter to get rid of the carbon with just an empty filter from the replacements. Would you suggest that I remove those though and go with a sponge? Is it possible to buy sponges without buying the actual filter? My funds are getting a bit low!

Also, as I'm trying to keep my pH low, if I added a bit of peat to the "empty" filters, would I be able to change only the peat but simply rinse the filter? Or are those simply not as durable as sponges? Thank you for your help!

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
I used to be a noob too...

Check my sig...

I use an AC50 on my 30g.. buying a filter media bag and simply refilling the carbon is much cheaper in the long run. Carbon is only good for a weeks. The bio-media is good for life and the foam filter simply needs to be swished around in the tank water you remove to dislodge gunk and restore the normal flow of water... Replacement foam/sponges are usually cheap...and easily cleaned so they last for quite a while. Also they house nitrifying bacteria as do the bio-media so keeping them is a GOOD idea.

Also finding a used powerhead is very helpful. Aquaclear has been good to me. I bought the filter attachment and it really helps take free floating particles out of the tank. The cylinder inside the quick filter also gives me the option of adding purigen or any other media to help adjust water quality if I have issues down the road.

Last edited:

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
So I think what I'm going to do is continue to use the same filter, but clean out all of the carbon and just go without for a bit. Next time I go to the LFS, I will look at sponges. I guess what I have is considered a mat, and only needs to be replaced every 4-6 weeks because of the carbon, but can last for much longer without it. That is my understanding at least! I am currently making due with a tall tank, so I don't think powerheads would make much sense with my setup, but one day when I can afford to upgrade I will definitely look into them.

Also thank you RDTigger for the links- they are very helpful :)

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
Yeah, I'm using an air pump and air stone at the moment for oxygenation (I just posted a thread about it the other day actually, you guys are so helpful).

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I have a hunch that the filter media you have right now, surrounding the carbon, is a floss type media. that's great, and good to continue using, but it'll wear out very quickly if it's the ONLY mechanical filtration. Your best bet is a combination of sponge and floss so the larger stuff is caught by the sponges and then the floss only has to get the fine particles, polishing the water. The floss eventually does need replaced whereas the sponge will last for pretty much ever. Ditch the carbon and get yourself some little aquaclear bio media instead. it'll be much more beneficial to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store