My BW upgrade

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I have been wanting to upgrade my BW tank for awhile, and finally got the chance!

Here is the original tank, with my Sailfin mollies, 4 bbgs and 2 violet/dragon gobies.

It was okay, but not spectacular. I wanted a bigger tank, with some nice rock work, something that I could make a bit more showy.

I got this 55 gal corner tank for free a few weeks ago.

The seals looked REALLY bad and there was silicone missing in the bottom corners (I think it was used to keep reptiles before, sharp little nails probably tore it away over time) so without bothering to water test it I went ahead and stripped and resealed it. Because I wanted this tank to be a nice show piece in my living room, I taped off all the seams so that I could get it right.

After two days the vinegar smell was gone, and I took the tank back outside (okay, my hubby took the tank back outside, lol) and I filled it up and let it set for about 24 hours. No leaks, yay!

Because I am keeping my gobies in this tank, I wanted to make sure there were plenty of hiding places. I am adding 6 more bbgs here soon also. I wanted a nice rock pile with some driftwood integrated into it, hopefully similar to a log/rock jam that you might find in a river estuary. After I hard scaped, this is what I came up with.

I got some plants in today from a trade with another member, so I got started planting it.

To the left side of the tank in the foreground I am going to make a marimo (clado) carpet that will cover the substrate and wrap around the base of the rock pile. In the right hand corner will be a couple of giant vals.

The SG is at 1.008 and I think I will keep it there. I have 6 wildcaught sailfin mollies that I got from another member (thanks Cam!) and I have moved them into the tank for their QT period, after which the inhabitants of the original tank will be moved over also. There are 11 ghost shrimp also living in it currently.

Kristina

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
looks EXCELLENT. Bumblebee goby's are awesome fish. Keep us posted with pictures

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice looking!

Sarahann31190

Animal collector
May 28, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I wish my brackish tank looked half as good as yours!

Very jealous!:nilly:

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
LOL, the wilds were actually in there when I took the planted pic, but they were hiding from the big scary human arm that had just been in there, lol.

Kristina

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Cool tank. It's got a beauty in simplicity thing going on.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Thanks guys :) It needs a few small amenities, such as a background, lol, that I will work on over the next few days.

Here are a few pics of the mollies.

Kristina

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store