What Could be wrong now?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
First...

90 Gal
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates-barley 5
Nitrites- 0
PH- 7.6

Plenty of Air...a bubble bar and a air decoration thing.

Filter Emperor 400.
Ran with 2 reg filters and two self filled ammonia-carbon eliminator [works very well]

Inhabitants-
8 goldfish
4cory cats [have been there and doing better than the rest]
1- 1inch common pleco baby.

Maintenance- Water Change 10% week. And gravel vac , when it needs it.

Now for the problem...well i don't know what the problem is. Those nitrates show but are not so high as to cause my fish to bottom sit, and not even come to eat...they are normally very quick to be interesting in feeding. I have no idea whats happening but I am very worried.

No noticeable signs of disease, spots, streaking lice , ect.

Is there something I may be overlooking?

The tank has been cycled for about 3 weeks now.

There is one oddity, My son wanted so Badly this walmart shark thing, and when we got it, it was smooth..now after about 2 months..its rough and looks as if it is bubbling..I wonder if something toxic in its makings are causing something I cannot detect. Stupid question right here but Ive been wondering why its bubbly looking now...didn't think they were suppost to change like that.

Please, once again, Help my fish...I don't know what I keep doing wrong.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Is the decoration intended for aquarium use? If it is not on the label, please get rid of the decoration immediately and do a large water change.

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
yes , the decoration is intended for aquarium use.

it is a aquarium decoration.

I am against getting rid of the ammonia remover, because I have goldfish, and why would my fish be sick because there isnt any ammonia in the water, when there isnt suppost to be ammonia in the water.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hmmm...You know some decorations that claim as one may not be entirely safe. From the sound of your post, I'd positively freak out and demand the store to refund and explain why the product went defective like that.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
yes , the decoration is intended for aquarium use.

it is a aquarium decoration.

I am against getting rid of the ammonia remover, because I have goldfish, and why would my fish be sick because there isnt any ammonia in the water, when there isnt suppost to be ammonia in the water.
A cycled tank should not have ammonia levels high enough to be picked up by a test to begin with, which leads me to my question...what are you using to test the levels?

That decoration does not seem safe its its doing what you described. Could you possibly post a pic of it?

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
It seems like the main points have been covered. The ornament is suspicious, and could well be causing problems. If its finish is bubbling away after two months, it wasn't a particularly well-manufactured aquarium ornament.

Regarding the ammonia remover, I doubt it will cause you problems to leave it in. However, as said above, a healthy cycled aquarium should have no need for an ammo remover, and there is potential for the remover to compete with bacteria for available ammonia and disrupt the cycle.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Do you use Stress Coat? There is a thread here somewhere that has an article saying something in it, Purigen, I think, can bond with resin in some things and create toxins. I sent a quote from it to someone else in a pm at one time, but I can't find the original source. I will keep looking and see if I can find it.
Jen

Found it! It was in a thread called "Emergency! BP's flat and gasping"

STRESS COAT;
Stress Coat contains a special non-toxic polymer that is attracted to the skin of the fish forming a synthetic slime coat envelope. Stress Coat also contains sodium thiosulfate electrolytes such as sodium and sulfides which helps reduce loss of electrolytes through the skin, gills, and damaged tissue. The Aloe Vera in STRESS COAT reduces inflammation of damaged fish tissue.
One major negative of Stress Coat is that it uses amine based polymers that have potential toxicity issues when used with Resins (zeolites)
One of SeaChem's (maker of Prime) notices on amines on its web site as of Apr 28, 2007 is as follows:
"...certain slime coat products will cause Purigen™ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based....
What amine based polymers will do is bond not just to Purigen but to any organic scavenging resin as well as any ion exchange resin and when you attempt to regenerate the resin they will then bond with the chlorine to form chloramine which can be released into the aquarium. This is not just an issue with Purigen but with all resins being sold in the pet trade. The problem only occurs when one attempts to regenerate the resin, there is no problem unless you wish to regenerate the resin you are using. Seachem products do not contain amine based polymers and are safe to be used in conjunction with not only our resins but also with other companies resins. We are simply pointing out the potential toxicity issue that would occur should an amine be bound to the Purigen resin, and subsequently come in contact with chlorine during the regeneration procedure. Chlorinated amines are toxic, and we feel a responsibility to warn the user of Purigen against this possibility

Because I searched under 'resin', it was highlighted in red...that's the word in all the big blank spots...not sure why it doesn't show up in the copy :/

Last edited:

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i took the ornament was removed. I have goldfish so i really want to leave it in....they produce more ammonia so, im leaving it.

I got a fish from lfs the other day and i was stupid and added it in.

It was a black moore with a white speck on it, i asked about it and they said it was just him. But today that fish died, and now my other black moore is not as satin black as he was...i think that fish was infected with ick...he has a cloud all over him, and these fish are flashing really bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store