RCS not reproducing in soft water (or NYC water)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipstreamv2

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Manhattan, NYC / Northern NJ
I remember someone posting that their RCS were doing well but not reproducing due to their soft NYC water. It's been over a month for me, and I definitely have males and females (much redder, larger, thicker, rounded tail), but I haven't seen any berrying. For that matter, I can't really confirm if they have a saddle...it seems like they have a clear empty area where the saddle should be, but I don't see the eggs that should make that area opaque.

I wanted to hear from anyone who is keeping RCS in soft water or in NYC, if they've had success, failure, etc.

Thanks!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I have very soft water out the tap- but I make my water harder through addition of liquid calcium and baking soda to about an 8GH and 8KH... still not very hard- but it's enough to keep most inverts relatively happy.

I do see some young RCS- but they don't seem to reproduce anything like most people on here claim theirs do... either that or my young just get eaten too quickly before reaching adulthood.

I will say, I do know Cherry Shrimp do much prefer hard water... I have Palaemonetes and they didn't reproduce at all at 7GH and 7KH- I bumped it up slightly to 8 for both and now they reproduce like mad. Cherries may be the same way- the more you bump up the hardness the more they reproduce.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
What I understand is that some of the Caridina shrimp such as Bee Shrimp or Tiger Shrimp and Crystal Red Shrimp, or even the Green Shrimp are more suited to soft water- you might have more luck with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store