Help my Goldfish please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How many times have you seen this?

• Sometimes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Often

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Grand Titus

AC Members
Oct 1, 2009
Heya all, thanks for a great site. ive already learned alot about my fishie but still dont know what is wrong with him:duh:. Heard from lots of other sites that u guys are the best to diagnose fish problems

I have one (what looks to me to be) Comet and a black moor in a 150litre tank, things have been going well up untill last week when i introduced a new Goldfish(he died four days later)
Shortly after this i noticed my Comet's tail starting to fray!!! So i started treating him with Myxazin for tail/fin rot he has been on his meds for about 5 days now with no improvement

I have two powerhead pumps with dispersed water flow so they dont get blown away some plants and a UV filter

ph:7
nitrates:acceptable levels
ammonia: almost none

I have also been doing 30%water changes, including deep gravel cleans evey other day, the water quality seems to be good/clear and the other fish is fine

I just cant figure out what is wrong with my commet, ive posted some pics below, Someone please help!!!

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
did you quarintine the new goldfish before putting it in the tank?

Grand Titus

AC Members
Oct 1, 2009
Stupidly no, I did get it from a very reputable fish shop. I have been dealing with them for some time now with no hassels, Ill never do that again

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Fin damage doesn't get better as fast as say Ich clears up. It takes time. First the cause needs to be stopped and then the healing takes place. If the damage is not exacerbating, you are on the right track.

When you say no improvement, are you implying that it is getting worse?

When you say nitrates acceptable, can you qualify that better with a numerical value? Same with ammonia. Ph7 is ideal.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Looks to me like fin rot, and possibly septicemia - which are both bacterial infections.

And your comet appears to be a male, looks like breeding tubercules on his gill plate. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! I would make a thread in our Coldwater Forum where more folks will see it and be able to help.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I had some similar headaches a few months back. A couple of my comets took a turn for the worse, but have both recovered since. You can get some background, photos, and details on my treatments in this thread (clicky).

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
:welcome: to AC, Grand Titus!

I decided to move your thread here so you will get quicker responses.

Firstly, I notice your water parameters are very vague. Could you please state exactly what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are? We need to know what they are so we will see if there are flaws behind the supposed results. What test kit do you use? I suggest you test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate again using API liquid drops. Avoid test strips as much as possible.

To be honest, for frayed fins and red streaking, I do not treat that issue with antibiotics, not unless the issue becomes even more severe. When my goldfish get that issue, what I do is determine the water parameters and do frequent water changes as necessary. I had my shubunkin and comet suffered blisters and red streaking on fins due to elevated temperature in my pond. I moved them to my hospital tank and did water changes thrice in a day. The fins healed overnight. For frayed fins, it takes a few days or even weeks for them to recover although clean water is your best remedy here.

Please quarantine every new fish you get regardless of the circumstances. I had to put every new goldfish I get under quarantine because most of them were raised from ponds which increases the risk of harboring external parasites, flukes and bacterial infections. My quarantine tank consists mainly of sponge filter only (and heater for those in cold areas). Quarantine process takes place for 3-4 weeks and the goldfish are treated with praziquantel as a precaution against flukes. Broad spectrum antibiotics can be administered for noticeable symptoms of columnaris and severe cases of bacterial infections while dimilin or trichlorfon are for external parasite infestations. You need not treat the fish with those stuff except for praziquantel which is a very mild treatment if dosed at 2 mg per liter. Keep spare bottles in your cabinet just for emergency cases only.

Hope this helps.

Lupes

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Given that your tank is only about 40 gallons, I would not recommend adding any more fish. The said symptoms are classic signs of less than perfect water quality, and in a fully cycled tank, there is no reason you should be getting any ammonia reading at all. Since you're already doing water changes every other day, it shouldn't be much extra work to bump the volume up to 50% instead of 30. In the mean time, I'd start looking into a bigger, and more permanent home for your goldfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store