any suggestions on making food sink in a pinch?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
due to whatever mysterious illness is afflicting my fish, my firemouth is unable to get himself any higher then an inch or two off the gravel and doesn't seem to be getting to the floating food. he picks through the gravel come feeding time but, while i'd like to keep him plump in case he pulls through whatever it is he has, he's beginning to look quite emaciated and i can't for the life of me find a place in the city that sells sinking pellets besides the algae wafers. he has been picking at those when i drop them for the corys and cats, but really they aren't exactly cichlid grade nutrition :p. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for possibly rigging up a sinking feeder i could use to hold down the floating pellets, or perhaps if there is anyway to either make floating foodstuffs sink or cook up something that will.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
if you can find granual food it will sink. it doesn't say sinking food but it sinks. usually if i want my flake food to sink i drop it into the filter flow.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Any food will sink if you pre-soak it. Fill a container with a small bit of tank water, and let your pellets or granules soak in it for a while, and they should sink when you put them in the tank. If you want them to sink to a certain spot, just reach your hands in the tank and put them there. Hope your little guy feels better soon!

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
i hold it between my forfinger and thumb below the surface long enough for it to get water logged then release

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store