Goldfish with strange growth on sides, tumors? Please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aoi_Goldfish

Blue fish and love for wildlife
Sep 10, 2007
TN
I have a goldfish I bought form a pet store a few years back that is an orange Ryunkin. He's very beautiful but has developed strange nasty looking growths on his skin. I can't tell if it's tumors but am afraid that he has them. I'm away at college and away from my outside tank that I house my goldfish and koi in. I'm not sure when exactly he developed these growths.

Can someone please look and tell me if it's tumors and if there's any chance of saving Orangu? And if I can save him, any advice would be much appreciated. These are my babies and I take excellent care of them.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi,

I moved your thread here last night. I am sorry about the delay of response on my part since I did not have time to post my thoughts anymore but here it is now.:)

Do those pustules burst? How many pustules did he get and where are the other affected areas? Could you please tell us more about your water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? When you said outsde tank, I was baffled how big this tank could be. How big is it? How many fish do you have in there and how big are each fish? How long have the fish been in there? How warm is the tank water?

Normally, koi are not suitable for tanks especially as they grow ridiculously large for most tanks to be able to accommodate. They are more of pond fish rather than aquarium fish so it surprises me that you have koi in the tank unless you are overwintering them in time for the winter to arrive.

If your tank is overcrowded already and water parameters whacked, then those factors should not be overlooked and most likely contributed to stress thus your fish becomes quite vulnerable to possible bacterial or viral growth. Are the pustules also hard or soft? I would advise against puncturing those pus since it will increase chances of secondary infections that could potentially kill your fish and spread to other fish if other fish appear to weaken as well.

We really need more information so we can see what may have contributed to this issue.

Lupes

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
FYI this could be a number of things. As these fish were outside all sorts of things could be causing it. Some of them are:

Swim bladder Disease
Lymphocystis
Sporazoan cyst

Basically if the bumps are soft and pop when you touch them it is swim bladder disease and is treatable with antibiotics. If not it is likely one of the other two and no treatment is known.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store