A Problem with my bristlenose Plecos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Juzah

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
Howdy people, been a long while since i posted!
I've still got the same 50litre tank setup in my room;
Fish=
2x Bristlenose
2x Angelfish (i forgot the breed :s)
2x Redcoral platy
1x Female Betta

Decorations=
Lotsx medium sized gravel
1x Chunk of driftwood (with hollow in it that i position to use as a cave)
1x rock formation (another cave)
3x Anubis plants scattered around driftwood
and some java fern in the post so i can start making a nice waterscape.

Right the problem i have is..I've had my plecos for about a year now, they were only little guys when i bought them and they've grown a good bit over the last year! 1 of them, the smaller one, has gained a substantial ammount of bristles which now have forks on the majority of them. The larger one; dubbed Monstro, has a few small bristles on the lip which its had for about 10 months.

I feed them with cucumber and what other vege's i have in the fridge and have used algae wafers to suppliment this. - there is also high protein food getting put into the tank for the swimming fish as i did have a male betta swimming in there too, (decided to set him up in a 10 litre tank of his own for now as i'd like to look to start breeding attempts) so i imagine they scavenge a bit of that too.

What im looking for is some kind of ..2nd opinion on the sex of it. its length not including finage is...2 1/2 inches. Its quite a bit bulkier then the male. It constantly fights with the other bristlenose as well as occasionally the other fish.

I did hope to breed these at some point, when i've space for a larger tank, but so far i've not witnessed them attempt to breed - even if only for the other fish to eat the eggs. I generally do a water change once a week and thats 50%-70% depending on the waste.

Tried to give all the information i could! if anymore is needed just ask :)

Juzah

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
I cant see dots on either of them in all honesty! Mannnn i need some braniac to come up with a half succesful way of sexing them besides bristles -_- lol

Juzah

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
Alright :]
tried taking some on my phone but no luck >_> got out the glass cleaner and everything to wipe down the front of the glass to make sure it was spotless .. lol
Will borrow me girlfriends camera tonight to take some pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store