50 gallon tank filter recommendations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

migs

Registered Member
Oct 3, 2009
Hello I am new to this forum and hoping someone could give me some advice. I have a 50 gallon fresh water aquarium it currently has a penguin 300 filter but the water still remains somewhat cloudy. Should I add an additional filter to the tank?:help2:

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
Whats being used in the filter? Whats living in the tank? What do you feed? How routinely do you plan filter maintenance?

These are some important factors in water clarity...

You may want some carbon in there every 2-3 weeks for water clarity. Consider adding more filtration... Not sure of the GpHour of the penguin..but I will say that will only be enough for a lightly stocked tank. The clarity comes with Xtra filtration to remove all the particles in the water column.

migs

Registered Member
Oct 3, 2009
THe filter has cartridges the tank mainly has tetras four zebras two catfishes a total of less than twenty one to one and half inch fishes.

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
That is lightly stocked. but i doubt one HOB can create enough water movement to give you crystal clear water.

What do you feed? How much, how often?

This post should probably be in the General Freshwater or Freshwater/Newbie forum for maximum viewing.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Hello I am new to this forum and hoping someone could give me some advice. I have a 50 gallon fresh water aquarium it currently has a penguin 300 filter but the water still remains somewhat cloudy. Should I add an additional filter to the tank?:help2:
I run an AquaClear 70 on my 55g. I have run an AquaClear 50 on this tank. I moved up to the 70 thinking this was my problem. This tank always was a little less than crystal clear, even when I tried a 110 on it.

My problem here is the water. My RO filter sits in a closet unused, at this time; I have decided to make the well water work--one way or another. In my case, a 18w UV on the tank gives me the crystal clear water I desire. Diatoms and algae just love this water of mine! I mean, without UV and I add a good dose of iron, frequently I see impressive diatom blooms over night! (high silica in the water here)

If you try bigger filters, or different filters, and are still not happy, give UV a try. You may find it may also work for you.

Regards,
TA

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
why not upgrade to a canister filter. That gives you many different options to choose from. I had a bio-wheel 350 on my 46 bowfront, and then upgraded to a fluval 305 canister and love it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
either that or go with the eheim classic series. I'm now running an eheim 2215, a fluval 305, and a hydor koralia nano on my 46 bowfront planted tank, and the water is crystal clear. I just got the eheim 2215 in today, and it is an excellent filter, and much better than my fluval. The most noticeable difference is the amount of media in the eheim. There is about 10x the media in the eheim as compared to the fluval. Don't get me wrong, i like the fluval, but i feel like the eheim is a better filter overall.

Just my 2 cents

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store