Started New Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
Well, my tank cracked and I had to start all over with new. Was able to salvage the contents but only a couple of fish and a peppermint. My problem now is the rock is is growing this weird algae that looks like fur and I'm not sure if hermits would clean it or not. Because I need to buy me a lot of hermits to get rid of this crap. But hermits kill off peppermints and I need him to tame the apstasia. Not so sure what to do here. :nilly:

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Sounds like hair algae you've got going there.
High level of phosphates would contribute to that.
Especially if you had do an emergency move.

As far as getting rid of that pesky algae, I would suggest turbo snails.
They're big, they're efficient.
Only thing is that they fall down sometimes and require human interaction to get them back up on their "feet".

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
I have never had hair algae so I rally thought this wasn't even an algae problem. This stuff look more like a furry mold than hair. But, yes I had my rock in 2 tubs for a month or more and I finally got my new tank and then it took more time to set it up. I don't have luck with Turbos the only snails I have any luck with are the Nassarius snails. Turbos are more difficult to care for. But I do need to get rid of the crap because its making my tank look horrible, and I mean horrible. This stuff is fast growing isn't it? :jaw-dropping:

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
Got me some snails, the turbos and nassarius kind. Pretty much the tank is getting there. I have never had a hair algae problem with my first tank, but oh well. These snails are really slow, guess I don't have enough. Theres a couple of pieces of LR they won't really touch, WHY? I'll pick them off another piece and move them around and they wont stay on the one I put them on and it needs cleaned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store