does anyone ever wonder...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
Does anyone ever wonder how the Labidochromis Caerulus got its name....Does it happen to be because the LABIDOchromis, hence the labido part...and because they mate like rabbits....just wondering about that...I never really looked at the name until our mama lab went thru 13 batches of fry....HHHMMMM...things that make you go HHHMMM:lipssealedsmilie::popcorn:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
OK, that's the first time I ever heard that explanation!

In reality,`Labidochromis refers to type of teeth the fish have and to the former name for cichlids (Chromides). Labis meaning 'tongs' and chroma meaning colour. Caeruleus stands for 'blue or bluish'. (This refers to the fact that the first specimens found were white with a bluish tinge to them).

"And now you know the rest of the story!" Paul Harvey(September 4, 1918 – February 28, 2009

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
it just struck me as funny. I just thought about it the other day...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
LOL you aren't the only one as I have overheard people asking for "that labido fish"! and yes mine are a bit prolific too but I don't always pull the fry and they end up as snacks most of the time.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
yeah, ours too...we have all females in the 80 and our main mama bred with either our cobalt, acai, or strawberry peacock....the only survivor was really pretty...greeninsh blue... but that turned into a snack for one of the fish...

quick question, how come our female sunshine peacock only eats once in a blue moon....she is really healthy and all...but when she doesnt eat one of our other females is prego...that is weird

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store