Clown fish disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Help.

One of my two new clowns has a problem. His lower, front fins are clamped to his body. Just an hour ago, I noticed that he had two white streamers. One appeared to be coming from his mouth and the other from his gill slit. It also appeared that there was one from around the eye.

Each streamer was transparent and relatively long (1-2 cm). This fish has been in the tank for 36 hours and has been pretty active. Not as active as the other clown, but the other clown is larger.

The ill fish has eaten very little. I found the streamers while the fish was surfing the HOB filter output. He was very active, but seemed to tire at some points. He stayed in the stream a lot though.

My first thought was a piece of supper that got caught some how (mysis shrimp). So I netted him and pulled the streamers from him (very gently).

Any thoughts. My research suggests either stress or brookynella. The parasite pictures I've seen don't match the streamers coming from the fish. (those are the mucus layer right)?

Params (I did a quick test strip today, I only do the full titrations about once every other week).

Nitrate zero or less than 20ppm (it's hard to tell on these strips)
Nitrite - zero
pH 8.2
kH 120

The last tests from the chemicals show
Calcium at 550
salinity at 1.025
Ammonia at zero
Phosphorus was a touch high, but I've put in a P absorbant pad since then (and took out after two days)

That's all I can think of.

Is he just stressed? The girl at the LFS said that they had a new shipment of perculas and an older shipment. The older shipment has been there for abot 2 weeks, while the newer shipment has only been there for about 3 days... no way to tell which shipment he came in.

Is there anything I can do to support him?

Thanks

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
never mind

put him down

no more external signs, but the fish could not swim properly. If it stopped swimming, it listed to one side. very very rapid breathing...

SIgh... this is what happens when you don't follow the plan.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Umm...that was quick. Sorry. = /

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Oh, I thought you put him to sleep yourself. You said you put him down. Well, in either case...I'm sorry. At least you didn't get attached to him since you seemingly didn't have him very long.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Mucus strands are a symptom of advanced Brooklynellosis. It is also an extremely swift killer. I doubt it would have made it through tomorrow.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Not surprising. It seems entire shipments have it around this time of year, for whatever reason. Kind of like Tridacna clams and Perkinsosis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store