Dads going to let me have control over his pond!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Okay. My dad has had this pond for a long time, is was a junky pond sucked like crap. He emtied the water, re lined the pond and made it biger. It is now an avg. 50,000 gallons of water. Im not allowed to post pictures on here.... sorry all, but when and If we get fish, I will post fish pics.

I was thinking koi... but there is a significant amount of hawks and other wild animals out there because he lives kinda on a farm.

I was thinking some 30 some koi would be good right? cause then we arent stocking the pond completely full, and it has room for babies... which I will probably end up housing inside while they grow.

There are no plants because of the liner.... should I put some in? I was thinking for hidey spots....

now as for a filter.... my dad is tank/ pond illiterate.
It has one pump that shoots air up.... and thats it. A filter for this big of a pond... would be rediculous.... but im willing to try it. as well as some sort of heater cause up here in canada, it freezes alot. The pond is 4" deep for sure.... I know know the other dimensons.... help anyone? suggestions?
I would love some butterfly koi or something of the sort!

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
lol. nah... up here it canada it would only be useful like 3 months out of the year... its definitely I think over twenty feet long.... im thinking more like 30-45?

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Okay. ... A filter for this big of a pond... would be rediculous.... but im willing to try it. as well as some sort of heater cause up here in canada, it freezes alot. The pond is 4" deep for sure.... I know know the other dimensons.... help anyone? suggestions?
I would love some butterfly koi or something of the sort!
I don't know, I have come across some all plastic, external, above ground, swimming pool filters at used stores, and garage sales, which could be used, as is! Simply make sure no traces of chlorine/chemicals are left (clean unit well), buy a pack of 20 micron cartridge? (I have seen these cheap, at Walmart. various micron specs) And, see if it is helps?

The Koi CANNOT become frozen in the water during winter, they will die. Is four feet deep enough for them to have liquid water to overwinter, at the bottom of the pond, under the ice? Also, when water temp drops low enough, feeding should be halted.

My two cents ...

Regards,
TA

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
I was told 4 feet would be ddep enough a while ago... guess it was a lie... I was sure it wouldnt freeze past 2 fett but I guess im wrong. heating it would just be so that there was space under the ice for the koi.... darn.... guess no fish for us unless we bring them in during winter

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
I was told 4 feet would be ddep enough a while ago... guess it was a lie... I was sure it wouldnt freeze past 2 fett but I guess im wrong. heating it would just be so that there was space under the ice for the koi.... darn.... guess no fish for us unless we bring them in during winter
30 Koi in a 125g tank?

Darn girl, I wouldn't even consider it! You'd have 'em stacked in their like cord wood! <grin>

Regards,
TA

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
ha ha wouldnt be the 125... he would probably end up making an inside pond or something or other.... but of course I would end up taking care of it.... >.<... so I guess either its going to be goldfish that get taken in during winter or no fish at all... this blows.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
ha ha wouldnt be the 125... he would probably end up making an inside pond or something or other.... but of course I would end up taking care of it.... >.<... so I guess either its going to be goldfish that get taken in during winter or no fish at all... this blows.
See, that is my problem, I never had a dad like yours when I was younger! I think not having that could have caused me developmental damage! (my dad, deceased now, was a GOOD ONE though!)

I'd ask, but I don't think he would even consider adopting me, at my age!

Ya' got a good pops! Keep him!

Good luck with your project(s.)

Regards,
TA

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
lol. I have an awesome dad for the most part... lol every dad has his flaws, but I know he is willing to learn mor about fish and tanks cause of my stepmom :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store