Help me make my tank pretty!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
My tank as of now. Might be switching some fish. I just brought it home. Its a 30g. Anyone have ideas on how to make it more intense and pretty?

Photo!

Last edited:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
It depends on what you consider to be "pretty". What sort of tanks have you seen that you would like to emulate?

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Natural colorful ones. :) But I dont know the upkeep on corals.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Get some liverock, ditch the stock aquarium bulb and get a reef Daylight bulb. It will brigthen up the tank, while the liverock will make it look more natural, and increase your filtration as its a natural filter. It will also add more life and color to the tank.

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
What about all the colorful plant-like things? Im a complete newb.

Can I add more fish?

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
What about all the colorful plant-like things? Im a complete newb.

Can I add more fish?

As long as the tank is cycled you can add some fish. (No ammonia or very lowlike 10PPM. If so do a waterchange 10% that will bring it down. No Nitirte) But I wouldnt add more than 3 at once. You dont want to shock the tank. You have to choose the right fish as some should be added last or they wont allow new comers.

Plants or corals require light. Your stock light wont be enought to support those. Unless you get a Aftermarket light that will support them. Like a Power compact, T5, VHO. The most commone fixtures are PC or Power compacts and T5's. You can find those on Ebay, or Drsfosterandsmith.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Hold the phone! Need some answers before we can help you...

1. How long has this tank been setup?
2. Is that an internal sponge filter in the corner?
3. Do you have any flow in that tank (power heads, return pump, HOB filter, anything?).
4. Is that an angel I see in the corner?
5. Is that a piece of rock or a wood on the sandbed? Is it live or fake? Same with the plants?
6. Assume that is a stock light?
7. Where did you get your sand from and was it live sand or dry?
8. What kind of water is in there? Premixed SW or did you mix it yourself?

If the answers to the above are what I think they are you have some work to do before you can make your tank "pretty". Not flaming you, just trying to help. Provide us with more info and we can help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store