green hair algae in cycling tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamiya0727

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
Hello all,

So I am still trying to cycle a new 12-gallon tank. It has been over 7 weeks now. Ammonia runs around 1ppm, I have never seen nitrites, and nitrates are at 10ppm. There is a single immature danio in the tank, and it is doing well.

I have some regular algae growing, but I also have a lot of stringy green algae growing. I do *not* have any live plants! The algae is mostly growing on a large ornament, but is spreading to some plastic plants as well. It started on the wall of the tank.

What can I do to get rid of it? I plan to buy oto's when the tank is stable - will they eat this kind of algae? Can tha algae have anything to do with the tank failing to finish cycling?

Thanks,
Jamiya

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
A few questions:
1) What is the nitrate level of you tap water?
2) What type of lighting is over the tank and how long do you run them?
3) How much/often are you feeding the danio?

You should start by removing as much of the hair algae by hand as possible, making sure not not let any stings float away to another part of the tank. Do a large water change, a thorough gravel vacuum, and clean the mechanical element of your filter to remove any built up waste which could be decaying and feeding the algae. You could also cut back on the time your tank is lit and cut back on feeding.

It sounds like you tank is not cycled at all (esp if nitrates are 10ppm or so out of the tap, so test it if you can). How did you do about introducing beneficial bacteria in the first place? (i.e. using media, substrate, decor, and/or water from an already established tank)

I'm sure others will pop in hear and provide some more info on how to deal with green hair algae specifically.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
You won't get much in the way of bacteria by adding water from an established tank.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
I would do a water change, that will rmeove the ammonia. Hair algae is a normal part of a newly setup tank. Ottos will mainly eat the algae on the glass rockwork etc. Im not sure it they will grave on hair algae. I would remove what the algae is growing on and clean it up.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
With no live plants, leave the tank lights turned off. The danio does not need tank lights to thrive but the algae does. Chances are also good, with only a single danio, that you are overfeeding just because it is hard to feed only enough for one small fish. That means that you need to do a good gravel clean and water change to reduce the ammonia levels. Algae of any kind needs nutrients and light to grow. If you cvan remove the excess of both, the algae growth will slow quite a bit.

mmm_unit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
get a snail and some amano shrimp, from my experience, they survive pretty well.

Snail will clean up your substrate and tank walls very nicely and amano will clean whatevr the snail can't get to.

Make sure your tank is fully covered and all the holes are filled if you are getting the amano shrimp. I didn't realize it until i like like 15 amanos, but my amanos like to literally walk of the tank and die somewhere where i can't find them. after i filled the holes, my amanos stay put (except into the filter chamber sometimes)

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I wouldn't advise adding any new inhabitants with the tank in the state that it's in. Water changes and gravel vacs will reduce the ammonia present in the tank. This is essential for the fish. It may not show, but that level of ammonia is doing damage to him. especially over 7 weeks. remember, water changes are your friend, and your fish's.

I'm curious what type of filter you are running, and what media in it? I agree with the above about not overfeeding. but it seems that your cycle has stalled out, and i can't figure out what could cause that. could you post more stats on the tank? (ie: filter, lighting, photoperiod, type of substrate, etc.).

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
I know this is about algae,but it seems to be a little about cycling a tank also.
I wont get hi-tech.I usually setup the tank and let it run for 10-14 days.Add some plants first,then add 3 or 4 fish,depending on tank size,to help with completion of the cycling.
I also usually add liquid "Cycle" at the beginning of setup, to bolster up the cycling period.Then if all is good add a few more plants and fish.Of course after doing your water tests .Photo period and lighting,on the algae??

Last edited:

flakey

Registered Member
Aug 26, 2009
I would do a water change, that will rmeove the ammonia. Hair algae is a normal part of a newly setup tank. Ottos will mainly eat the algae on the glass rockwork etc. Im not sure it they will grave on hair algae. I would remove what the algae is growing on and clean it up.
My algae is only growing on the glass. Could you advise how to clean of safely without affecting my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store