New 75 gallon turtle tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snappyguy

Keeper of the fish
Jan 12, 2009
Houston TX
Just got a 75 gallon tank for my red-eared slider. She's loving it. We'll see how long it lasts until we need to upgrade to a 120!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
nice! always wanted a turtle.. but i dont think i could handle the smell :(

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
nice! always wanted a turtle.. but i dont think i could handle the smell :(
Smell? What smell? If you treat the water just like you do in your fish aquarium it won't smell at all. Stinky water is a result of bad husbandry, it no different if you have fish or turtles.

snappyguy

Keeper of the fish
Jan 12, 2009
Houston TX
+1 There shouldn't be any smell. Oversized filters are good with turtles because they make such a mess, or you can use a seperate feeding tub.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Does your fish tank smell? If the answer is yes, then you need to up your maintenance. Same goes for a turtle tank ;)

Snappyguy, google above tank basking platforms. If you built one, it would make your 75 last longer, as you could fill it to the brim with water.

Kristina

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
Slap a black background on that puppy and it'll really pop! My mom is afraid of having the turtle climb out, so I've never been able to have one. I'm content with fish :)

omplmpa3

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
How big is your RES, from the picture she looks around 7-8 inches. May I ask what sort of filter, heater and lighting fixtures you use? My RES is closing in on 5 inches and I want to start planning for the inevitable upgrade.

snappyguy

Keeper of the fish
Jan 12, 2009
Houston TX
My RES is about 6 inches long. I use a Rena xP3 for a filter and a 250W Stealth heater because they're made of thermal plastic so the turtle can't break it like it might with a glass heater. I use a Reptisun 2.0 UV compact fluorescent bulb and Zoomed basking light. I've also added a 48" aquarium light that's not in the pic for some extra light in the tank.

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
i havetwo res setups and no smell. I use several filters.

snappyguy

Keeper of the fish
Jan 12, 2009
Houston TX
Oh, BTW I use no name fixtures. I found a double bulb fixture (on the left in pic) on sale and got it. Each side is only rated for 40W but it suits my usage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store