So, I can't find a pufferfish anywhere...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Yeah. All of my lfs have plenty of green spotted puffers, but those actually need a 30 gallon tank and at least high end brackish as adults. The word "mudskipper" is not in any fish store's vocabulary here in SoCal, not even Asian fish markets carry those. One of my friends said that they have Indian mudskippers in Chinatown but I'm not so sure if they're still there or in good condition.

Now what do I buy?

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
you buy....a bigger tank.
then you can have an array of fish that you want, as long as they get along

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
I can't afford a bigger tank ;_; Also I was gonna make this poll but I took too long so double ;_;

The options were gonna be:

GSP

BUMBLEBEE GOBY PARTAY YEAH

Catfish

Or if you know a store IN LONG BEACH LOL that sells something really goodie goodie
like mudskippers or small, bw puffers (figure 8 much?) then tell me.

Or if you know know a store IN LONG BEACH LOL that sells any other non puffer fish that can fit in a 20g then post it here

So what is it?

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
I was sorta thinking a BUMBLE PARTAY but if you can think of anything groovier then tell me.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Catfish grow huge, plus need groups = larger tank.
Bumble bees are cute... but IMO not really that fun... mine spend most of the time out of sight. Are you really depending on brackish?
My reason being, IMO any of the "cool" brackie fish need 30 + gallons...
this includes, but is not limited to, orange chromides, dragon goby, most catfish sold as fw but are brack... I heard whit tip sharks are brack.
Archers, monos, scats.... any of these need a bigger tank. oh well you could prolle have a few mollies... but IMO mollies alone are super boring.
I suggest going to fw really. You said you cant afford a bigger tank, so what happens if sometime you cant afford the salt for your fish, the medication for your fish or and of the "special" food or care some brackish fish require?
I recently bought a $15 block of some food for my dragons, and I have to spend time making them food alot, and babying them to try and get them to eat it.
Just my 2 cents...

ClevelandJones

Registered Member
Oct 19, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I feel your pain - I had to resort to one of those nasty national chains since my lfs didn't carry any Figure 8 Puffers. I bought the least-beat-up one in the store and he's worked out fine so far...

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I feel your pain; it seems like every store (okay, the 2 that are mom-and-pop types and the 2 big chain pet stores) around here carry on the average every day fish that everyone else has like neons and mollies and guppies and only a few cool and unusual fish. Then again, once in a while they have something really unusual.

However, I've found that just asking if they can do special orders will get me what I want. If I remember correctly, you are specifically looking for figure 8 puffers? Have you asked your local stores if they can special order them for you. It will save mucho money on shipping for you. Just confirm what they will be asking for price, though. I once asked about diamond tetras and congo tetras (making my decision on which to order based on price). I was able to get the diamonds for only $3.69 each whereas they congos were going to be over $20 each! So, yeah, confirm the price with them and then make sure it matches what they quoted you (once the diamonds came in they wanted $3.70 something but gave me the price quoted when I asked about it).

Like phoenix asked, are you dead set on brackish? If you can go with freshwater, you can open yourself up to some more options, and if you can't afford to get a larger tank, then you might also be finding yourself not being able to afford the salt mix, hydrometer (or refractometer), special foods as most of these guys will only take frozen or live foods, etc. If you are ready and able to do brackish, then phoenix already listed several.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store