Please "Walk me through" a "Fishless cycle" for a BIG tank......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
I'll be adding water (within 1 week) soon to my latest tank addition...... It's a 300 gallon acrylic with 2 massive wet/dry filters. I estimate ther to be 10-12 gallons of bio-balls between the two filters. The tank will have pool sand substrate and approx. 1000 lbs. of aquarium safe smooth black rock.

I'm interested in knowing what ammonia product to use (I know surfactants are a no-no), and how much I need to add. Is the introduction of the liquid ammonia a one time thing, or do I need to make multiple additions ? Will my saltwater kits for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate (Salifert) be OK to use for checking parameters, or do I need something specifically for freshwater ? What temperature is best for cycling this much water/media ? Does lighting have an effect on a fishless cycle ? I'm assuming that I should NOT run my UV (96w) during the cycle. Is this correct? Should I use a "seed" from one of my other tanks ? Would using the month old filter wool from a couple canisters from established tanks in conjunction with the ammonia be a good idea or not ? Would using the "seeds" by themselves be a better idea ?

So many questions..........

Thanks for your help, Jim

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I have never done a "fishless" cycle. I used old filter media works better (like what you are trying to do with your "month-old filter wool".
2) I use Salfert for my FW/Sw tanks.
3) Lights has no effect on cycle unless you have plants.
4) A UV unit is for killing algae or other un-wanted pest, and is usless during a cycle.

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
Seeding with old media will speed things up, but the cycle is still the same. I added ammonia a little at a time until I got a positive test (using a dipstix). Keep testing daily, and add more ammonia to keep the test positive. Keep this up until you start to see Nitrates. Then do a 50% water change, make sure the ammonia is negative, and you should be good to go. Without old media, this may take 10-14 days. With, it may only take 4 or 5.

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
OK........ Here's what I know for sure.......

1.) My Salifert kits will be OK for testing ammonia / nitrite / nitrate

2.) Lighting is unimportant when cycling a tank without plants

I still need to find out.......

1.) How many ppm ammonia should I have when starting a fishless cycle using liquid ammonia ?

2.) How long do I have to maintain an elevated level of ammonia?, or is the initial introduction sufficient ?

3.) Does using a U/V stop/slow/hinder the cycling process ?

4.) Should I use only the seeded material, only the ammonia process, or a combination of the two ?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
fishless cycle for a big tank is the same for a smaller tank ..you just may need more ammonia to get the levels up.
using live bacteria from an established tank will speed things up since you already will have the bacteria needed in the cycle.
it just needs food to keep it up.

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
OK........ Here's what I know for sure.......

1.) My Salifert kits will be OK for testing ammonia / nitrite / nitrate

2.) Lighting is unimportant when cycling a tank without plants

3.) After initial introduction of liquid ammonia, reading should be 3-5 ppm (ammonia added as needed to reach this level)

I still need to find out.......

1.) How long do I have to maintain an elevated level of ammonia?, or is the initial introduction sufficient ?

2.) Does using a U/V stop/slow/hinder the cycling process ?

3.) Should I use only the seeded material, only the ammonia process, or a combination of the two ?

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
Without old media, this may take 10-14 days. With, it may only take 4 or 5.
I don't understand how people can cycle their tank without media in 10-14 days! I am cycling my 10 gallon. I've followed all of the appropriate directions and nitrites are still high (they are finally coming down though). It's been almost 6 weeks. I would say it will take much longer than 10-14 days to FULLY cycle your tank (ammonia & nitrite at 0ppm).

You need to continue to seed ammonia, or the bacteria colonies will not develop due to lack of food. I have heard to maintain 5ppm until the ammonia eating colony is fully established (ammonia reads 0ppm when you test, even when you are adding ammonia). You will learn how much ammonia you need to add to keep the level at 5ppm through trial and error. After you get consistent tests of 0ppm, then slow down and only add maybe 2-3ppm of ammonia while the nitrite colony is developing. You should do this IN ADDITION to seeding with old filter media. The media will simply speed up the process because it is supplying your tank with some of the bacteria rather than growing them "from scratch."

I have also heard that raising the tank's temperature quickens the cycle because bacteria reproduce more quickly in warmer environments.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store