FS Brackish Riparium Package - Madison, Wisconsin - Shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Brackish Riparium Package

This combination plant package would be great for setting up a planted riparium brackish display. Here is an overview of what it includes:

• black mangrove (Avicennia germinans)--young trees with riparium hanging planter
  • ciliata crypt (Cryptocoryne ciliata)--mature plant in riparium hanging planter
  • Java fern (Microsorum sp.)--rhizomes & riparium trellis raft
These three plants plus planting accessories for $30.00 shipped. I can put together just two or three of these with the material that I have, so reply soon if you are interested.

Plants shipped via USPS Priority Mail from Madison, Wisconsin--total charge will include a few more dollars if weather condition necessitate a heat pack and/or insulated shipping box.

This material was all grown in (hard) freshwater, so the plants will require a transition period during which they can slowly adapt to higher salinities. They will look and grow their best in a moderate to large-sized (>50 gallons) tank. If you do not have a setup ready for them you can start transitioning them to brackish water in a smaller aquarium while preparing their permanent habitat.

~Here are more details on these plants.~

black mangrove (Avicennia germinans)

Although red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) is already a popular addition to saltwater and brackish aquariums, balck mangrove has apparently been used very little in this way. Black mangrove seems to be more hardy than red mangrove and it also tolerates pruning, which is important for controlling size and shape. Unlike red mangrove, black mangrove cannot tolerate full-strength seawater for long periods of time, but it grows well in freshwater and in brackish conditions.

This includes two young established plants in a riparium hanging planter.
~~

ciliata crypt (Cryptocoryne ciliata

This unusual plant would make a good background element for a brackish setup. The leaf petioles are quite long, so I could ot get a good picture of the whole plant, which is about 24" tall. Here is one of the attractive, leathery leaves.

Crypt ciliata can tolerate water of almost full-strength seawater salinity. Unlike most other crypts, it does not require very high hmidity air, so it is a good choice for an open-top display. The specimens that I have are well-established in hanging planters and producing new runners.

Ciliata produces wild, pumpkin-scented flowers, perhaps the most unusual of any common aquarium plant. Mine have bloomed several times.

~~

Java fern (Microsorum sp.)

Java fern is another familiar aquarium plant that can grow in brackish water. This offer includes two rhizomes that are about 2 inches in length and with several leaves each, as well as a trellis raft planter (not pictured). Here are a couple of the rhizomes.

These ferns have been emersed-grown, so they will not need transition periods to grow in the air, as aquarium-grown plants would require. Here is an established plant (of a different Java fern variety, with non-lobed leaves) growing on a trellis raft. It took about 5 months for this plant to grow to this size from a few small rhizome cuttings.

~~

Thanks for checking out this offer. Send a PM or respond into this thread if you have any questions.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Ship to canada? This would be perfect!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
These really are nice plants, and one could set up quite a unique planted system with them.

Sorry I don't think that I can ship to Canada--live plants are problematic when shipping across borders.

Does this constitute a bump if I am responding to other posts in thread? I know that one is supposed to wait 24 hours to bump back to top.

Last edited:

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
I dont think it does. I know that you need a permit... *sadface*, oh well, thanks anyways

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I am not offering this one for sale, but here's an idea for an easily-acquired plant that would be good to combine with these offerings in a brackish setup. If grown on a riparium trellis raft Bacopa monnieri creates a quite pleasing floating lawn effect. Here are some recently planted stems just beginning to grow in this manner...

B. monnieri is another plant that is cited as growing in brackish conditions. I once saw it growing in dense floating mats in Florida near the ocean, although I did see whether the water was really brackish or not.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah that's a pretty cool flower on that C. ciliata. It's easy to bloom too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store