Pleco with split fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
One of my two plecos has split dorsal and tail fins. It's like they been sliced or spliced. They don't look torn or frayed...just cleanly split or disintegrated.

It is not a bristlenose pleco...it is charcoal colored with distinctive light dots.

The fish otherwise looks and acts well. There are no problems with any other fish in the tank, and I have never had a problem with any pleco. I have had the two that are in this tank for a couple of years.

Any idea what's with the fins, and whether I should do anything? I have never put a pleco in a hospital tank, so I don't know how it would react if that's the best way to medicate.

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Have you ever seen it panic, and charge around? Clean splits are often the result of the fish charging around and into walls, or across sharp surfaces, like the edges of plastic plants. Another option--could be territory spats between the two--they would likely fight at night, when you may not notice it.

I would monitor the fish, and if there are no signs of infection, it should heal up within a month or so. Loricaiids can be slower to heal fins than many other fish, IME, but they usually do heal.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks. No, I haven't noticed anything unusual.

Do you think I should use some Melafix as well, or just wait?

The carbon has been in the filter a couple of weeks, so Id just leave it in if I did use the Melafix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store