is this fungus? big pic warning!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
I came home last night and there's a new 3"-4" oranda in my tank, apparently my girlfriends mom just bought one on a whim(from petsmart no less) and put it in the tank. It has some white stuff on the back of its wen, its not ich but I fear may be some kind of fungus, but it could also be coloration maybe? here are some photos (bad ones at that) hopefully it can be clear enough for you guys to diagnose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I am thinking it is just part of the wen growth processes. In this case, I would not worry about it. Saprolegnia usually is uncommon and happens mostly when a fish sustains a wound that has not been treated almost immediately after it was spotted. It's not ich. Ich should look like the fish has been sprinkled with salt but your case is not ich.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Doesn't resemble a fungus at all. Could be a viral growth, but I bow to Lupin's superior gf knowledge.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I vote with Lupe on this one. Has happened to all of my orandas from time to time. If it gets worse or spreads, diagnose from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store